Skip to main content

The Labor Day Concert

Our orchestra performed our Labor Day concert at the park last night, and I didn't humiliate myself. In fact, I think I played fairly well. I had small solos in three or four numbers and the horn section in general had quite a few prominent parts. I'm not sure I led the others very well, but I at least played my own part correctly, most of the time. I screwed up Mendelssohn's Wedding March pretty well, but I'm sure the audience didn't notice.

When I play with this orchestra, my goal is to at least not miss a major entrance or hit the wrong note coming in, and I succeeded this time around. Of course it's important to watch the conductor for tempos, and sometimes he'll ask you to play softer or louder, but I watch him to get his reaction as well. When a soloist plays poorly, he'll scowl a bit or smile sympathetically. But if a soloist plays well, he'll beam and direct with such gusto you can't help but play with even more heart. Well, that's the reaction I have anyway.

When I first started learning to play the horn, I took occasional lessons from a woman who teaches children. She taught me on that level, the level of a ten year old, and I was so grateful for her patience. She plays trumpet in the orchestra, and during the intermission, she told me how well I was playing and said, I "really stepped up" to the job. That meant the world to me and I think gave me permission to play confidently in the second half, just in time for a medley from Phantom of the Opera with lots of little solos and bold horn calls that aren't well suited to timid players.

So, while I did not play the entire concert perfectly and basically sat out for about half of Stars and Stripes Forever (shhh, don't tell the conductor), I was pleased. I'm glad the whole thing is over, but I'm also glad I got the chance to be acting principal at least once. I think it will make me a more confident player when I get my regular seat back in the fall.

On another note, happy Labor Day to everyone. I'll spend the evening at an Indian's game in Cleveland. I'm not a big baseball fan, but I do enjoy the spectacle at the stadium. Eustacia's college marching band will be playing the National Anthem before the game, so we'll at least see her from a distance.

Comments

dive said…
Woohoo! Well played, Robyn!
Congratulations on a successful debut as acting principal. Here's to more of them coming your way.

And Happy Labor Day!
"Go Indians" (or whatever you shout in America) and a huge cheer for Eustacia's band!
Alifan said…
Well done Robyn we all knew you could do it..now you know you could as well.................
Well done Robyn! Sounds fun.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...