Skip to main content

Jackpot!

Finally, after three weeks of talking about buckeyes and asking about buckeyes and looking for buckeyes, I have found them. And now I can move on to another subject.

the tree

I was getting my hair cut at a salon, and one of the stylists said she found a buckeye tree in the front yard of the local Salvation Army building. She makes wreaths out of them like some people use pine cones, and she had gathered a few just the other day.

the nut

So, yesterday morning I went to the Salvation Army, found the tree, and scoured the ground beneath. This is the time of year for these things to fall, so I was hit by several during the foraging. Buckeyes are encased in this spiky thing, which I suppose prevents animals from digging into them.

the box

I filled a bag with my jackpot load of buckeyes, and I'll ship them to the elderly man in California this morning. The family has offered to pay for the shipping, but I had an idea. Considering where I gathered these things, I'm going to suggest the family donate the cost of shipping to their own local Salvation Army.

If for some reason they aren't keen on the Salvation Army, then they can choose their own charity. What goes around, comes around as they say.

Comments

dive said…
Aha! NOW I know what buckeyes are!
That tree's a horse chestnut, Robyn (æsculus hippocastanum), the immortal conker tree, and the things you guys call buckeyes are conkers, weapon of choice for English schoolboys for millennia!
Had I known I could have shipped you tons of the things, though October/November is conker season here.
Kids drill (or carefully skewer) a hole vertically through them, thread a piece of string through, nestle the conker on the knot at the end of the string and do battle in a knightly fashion, each taking turns to smash the other's conker.
We have a World Conker Championship over here.
I hope the old guy enjoys his gift. I know I would!
I have these things all over my neighborhood. and all this time we called them chestnuts.

We use to have fights with these when I was a kid. they hurt like hell when you take one of the side of the head.
Alifan said…
wow Rich hope you did not eat conkers.. chestnuts are something very different!!!!!!!but conkers was a fun game....
alifan - conkers??? is that where you try to bean someone on the head with one of those horse nuts
Alifan said…
ha, if you do not move fast ..yes Rich.. you are supposed to just hit the conker, but you boys play rough...
Maria said…
How wonderful that you found the buckeyes! We have a crab apple tree in our front yard and there are so many on our driveway that it looks a crime scene from all the splattering they do when they hit the ground.

Popular posts from this blog

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...