Skip to main content

Here She Is

...the 1650s beauty. Honestly, this may not look much like clothing of the time period, but it's the closest I could get. Quite a few paintings from that era show massive sleeves that could shelter a ground hog for the winter, but some were more tailored. We'll go with tailored for our story.

The dress is made of satin with lace, and a friend with a vintage goods shop will loan me a big broach to hold the lace collar in place. I'm not sure of the model's size, but if this doesn't fit, it will be too large and not too small. We'll just clamp it in the back and angle her in such a way that it shouldn't matter too much.

As Lynn has requested, I'll display a few book covers this week. In the past, the covers I have created for romance books have not included models because the hook was the location, not the main character. Here is a cover for historical stories that all take place in Oklahoma.

And here is a cover for contemporary stories that all take place in Connecticut during the Christmas season.

And here is a collection of historical stories that all take place in Maine.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I cannot believe you finished that dress so quickly! It is lovely.
Anonymous said…
Beautiful, Robyn! I see Mike is curious and checking out the dress too :)
dive said…
Wowee, Robyn! You are so clever.
How on earth did you manage to make it so quickly?
And did you sew catnip into the hem for Mike? Hee hee. He looks so cute.

I love the idea of clamping it at the back for the shoot. Hee hee.

Your book covers are wonderful! Just how many talents do you HAVE, you horn playing, painting, stitching, knitting, girl-raising, cooking, writer, you?
I love the swirl coming out of the cloud on the second one, just like a snow flurry. Lovely.
Shan said…
Gooood Grrrrief Robyn! I don't get it. You sound so calm when you write but in actuality I suspect you are whirling around your house Taz devil style! Do you ever just collapse?
Great dress! And the last cover is my fave. As you know I see a few of these round my house as well. I love it when J gets book cover side jobs. They are my favorites. You artists are something else, I tell ya!

Hmmmm....that's it! I need to get Jamey sewing clothes for me! heh heh heh
Shazza said…
Holy Quacamole Robyn! That is just incredible and beautiful and WOW!

Wow...wow!

I'm with Dive...how many other talents to you have.

wow
Mrs. G. said…
I love it!!!!
savannah said…
you JUST mentioned you were going to make the dress, sugar!!! i stand in AWE! (will send email w/details soon) xoxo
Alifan said…
As usual you have amazed me again Robyn, well done such talent.....xx

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...