Skip to main content

Cooking Spree

I have been reading about an occupation, that of personal chef. Personal chefs take on clients and cook meals for them, usually a week's worth at a time. Typically, they cook in the client's home and prepare five meals in several hours and then store the food in the fridge or freezer, leaving instructions for reheating.

I thought I'd give it a shot in my own kitchen to see what it feels like to cook for a week in one day. It's a short week because of the holiday, so I chose a menu for four days using recipes from a favorite cookbook. I bought groceries based on the recipes, and spent about $140.

I began cooking at 10:30 in the morning, and I finished sometime around 2:30, allowing time to eat a quick sandwich and take a ten-minute break for a glass of water and a small piece of a Scharffen Berger nibby bar. I just had to mention that because they are so irresistible, and Small Town's grocery store has just started selling them. Here is what I cooked:

Meal 1: Grilled T-bone steaks with a fresh tomato salsa. Side dish—grilled asparagus with a red wine vinegar and honey aoli

Meal 2: Chicken breasts stuffed with goat cheese and basil. Side dish—fresh vegetable succotash

Meal 3: Salmon baked with rice and leeks in puff pastry and drizzled with a creamy tarragon sauce. Side dish—green salad (to be prepared later)

Meal 4: Roasted pork tenderloin with a port wine and cherry sauce. Side dish—potato, leek, and Gruyere gratin.

While the process all went smoothly without any major glitches, I did run into a few problems to consider the next time I do this. First, the grocery store was out of limes that I needed for the fresh salsa, but I hadn't allowed time to go to another store. I could have fit that in, but I cheated and used bottled juice instead. That's never a fair substitute. I also neglected to read through every recipe before starting, so I didn't realize the red onions for the salsa needed to soak in cold water for three hours. That pushed back the salsa until the end of the cooking time. Had I known about the onions before hand, I would have had them soaking while I was working on the pork and potatoes, the two things that took the most time.

And then there was the creme fraîche, which is nearly impossible to find in the middle of Ohio. I have always substituted sour cream for it in other recipes, but the cookbook I was using provided instructions for making my own—you heat heavy cream to 85 degrees and stir in a little butter milk. Then you let the mixture sit out on the kitchen counter for a day or so until it becomes creme fraîche. So, that's sitting out and will later be used to make the tarragon sauce.

Now, I've got it all stacked up in the fridge to be reheated day by day. We'll see how that goes. Not everything reheats well, so I tried to choose things I thought would work.

I beg you to answer the poll in the sidebar and tell me if you would consider hiring a personal chef. If you think $15 is steep for a meal with groceries, shopping, cooking, and cleanup included, what would you be willing to pay?

Comments

dive said…
Hail to the chef!
All that sounds very yummy, Robyn, but …
(a) Doing that as an experiment sounds like fun but HAVING to do it when you're not in the mood and your client is an asshat and their kitchen is a dump might be a different matter, and
(b) What in the world is a Scharffen nibby bar?

I'm afraid I love cooking far too much to want a personal chef.
A personal washer-upper, however, would be a different prospect.
RoverHaus said…
Well, yeah!!!! If the meals are what you're talking about.

Tuna sandwiches, the way I make them, won't ever get $15. I think it's a great value!
Shazza said…
Wow! Sounds delicious!

You know...my Dad who is a recent widow hates to cook for himself so he buys a meal package from a local restaurant. Same principal I suppose. I think for people who don't have time or don't like to cook may buy into this. I would actually pay a service like this for him to try out.
Mrs. G. said…
I would hire you yesterday.
Alifan said…
Well done Robyn, but heed Dives words, I have been there done that, and it is very very time consuming.. but then you have such great talent you can turn your hand to anything...whatever floats your boat as they say here..!!!!!
If you were the chef, Robyn, I would hire you for sure. What a menu!!

I do this a lot on sundays as I am the cook in my house so I try to prepare meals for the week ahead of time. I'm cooking for only three now though.

Popular posts from this blog

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...