Skip to main content

Beads Forever

As I have mentioned before, I design book covers as a favor to a non-profit organization that sells books to stores in Africa, mainly Nigeria and Kenya from what I understand. The organization is based in Illinois but maintains a close relationship with the store owners and distributors in Africa, so I get plenty of input as to what kinds of imagery is popular there that might not be popular in the States and vice versa.

I learned, for example, that a in good of bit of Africa, wedding rings are not a recognized symbol of marriage. They are seen as a white man's invention, so when I design book covers for books on marriage, I have to use something like hearts instead of rings. And big, hairy, ugly spiders are admired. It's been an educational experience.

Several weeks ago, I asked my contact person in Illinois if she knew where I could get antique African trade beads similar to what my husband bought while in Nigeria a few years ago, and she set herself on the task. It turns out the founder of this organization was going to Nigeria soon, and he agreed to shop. He knew of a reputable dealer, and since these beads are inexpensive when you buy them at the source and not from an importer, we decided to barter—book covers for beads.

Just this week I received my package of beads, and I am overwhelmed. I was expecting a couple of strands, but I was given seven full strands of pre-colonial beads, and they are all beautiful. From what I understand, the term "pre-colonial," when used in Africa, refers to the colonization of Africa by the Europeans, so these beads date back to the late 1800s and very early 1900s.

I can't explain my fascination with these things. Maybe it's because the world where they were made is so foreign to me, so far removed from anything I have ever known. Maybe it's because the process of making these beads out of old glass ground into sand is hundreds of years old and has been passed down from generation to generation. Craftsman still make these beads using the same process, but this is no hobby. This is their livelihood.

Mostly, I use these beads to make earrings, and I have been asked to make a pair for one of the people responsible for sending me this mother load. It will take me days just to sort through all the options and choose the perfect combination of colors.

Comments

Gosh they're so pretty! They certainly appeal to me as I have just had my ears pierced. Beautiful. By the way, can we see some of your book covers please?
Scout said…
Lynn, I'll see about gathering some book cover images and making a post or two out of them.
That'll be great.
dive said…
Those are beautiful, Robyn! Boy, you're going to be one busy girl.
And yes, your book covers would make great posts!
savannah said…
sugar, where are you selling your earrings? (i'll also look on your site as you've probably posted it somewhere!) i want some!

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...