Skip to main content

Baseball, the National Anthem, and Singing

We went to an Indians game in Cleveland last night because Eustacia's marching band performed the national anthem. We had decent seats, so while we couldn't see her playing, we did see her marching in.

We used to go to games quite often, especially the year when we had season tickets. I think this was our first game of the year and probably the last, so it was nice of the Indians to win for the occasion.

We have been at this stadium during horrendous lightning storms (when husband was on metal crutches) and during insect attacks from some kind of bug that swarms around Lake Erie in September and during blazing heat. Last night was just lovely and cool with the perfect sort of breeze.

Here is the crowd singing during the seventh-inning stretch. My camera filled up before the song ended, but you know how it goes.


Comments

dive said…
Hoorah for the Baldwin-Wallace College Marching Yellow Jackets!
And yay for the Indians, too!
It sounds like a lovely evening out, Robyn. I'll have to wait until I get home to watch the video, though.
You must have been so proud when Eustacia marched out on to that field.
Ms Mac said…
Oooh! I've been there! How lovely.

There weren't nearly as many people there the night I went to see the Indians play but ever since then, Indians have been my team.

Go Tribe!
dive said…
I just got home and checked the vid, Robyn.
Boy, that's weird. That cheesy organ? It sounds like a drunken night down the pub. Jolly good fun but a little odd.
Thanks for sharing this, Robyn. I remember seeing the bugs at that stadium while I was watching a Red Sox - Indians game on TV.

Good for your daughter to have played the NA at a game. I got to play it at a Red Sox game when I was 13with my band.
oh BTW, there's a lot of empty seets in that stadium.

And if the band is called "yellow Jackets" where are the...yellow jackets?
Scout said…
Dive, you don't know a real sing-along until you are part of the seventh-inning stretch at a major-league baseball stadium. It's pure joy.

Ms. Mac, I thought of you when I was snapping the picture of the score board. It may not show up in my photo, but Grady Sizemore is the man at bat there.

Rich, I was telling No. 1 that those kids would remember that experience and tell their kids about it decades later. I got to play the half-time at a Packers game in Milwaukee. And there are a lot of empty seats because the Indians have not had a very good season over all.
Alifan said…
Nice post Robyn....looks like you had a good time and so proud of E as you should be... xx
RoverHaus said…
Don't hate me for it...I've only been to one baseball game in my life and I didn't really get it. I wanted to.

But when Eustacia is in it, I could see the draw.

Popular posts from this blog

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

Happy Birthday...

to me! Update: Since you have asked, I only got one actual packaged gift, a beautiful hand-made bracelet from a friend, but both girls were home for the weekend, and we had dinner at the lake and a relaxing weekend. Thanks to all of you for your lovely wishes!

My Sitemeter is All Bloated and Not Quite Itself

I'm tempted to let it sit on the couch with its feet curled up under a blanket, a hot cup of coffee in hand, a block of cherry almond bark Chocolove within reach, and An Affair to Remember spinning in the DVD player. I'm one of those obsessive bloggers, the kind who checks her sitemeter as often as possible throughout the day, the kind who gauges the quality of her writing by the number of readers who regularly stop by. I've become less interested in the overall number of hits and more interested in the number of repeat hits. The return visitors are the ones I long for. When my sitemeter reads forty at the end of the day, and the majority of those hits are webpals who have conversed, I'm happy. Forty may seem low to many of you, but I've only been at this since August. To me, forty is a jackpot. A few days ago, I sat down at my laptop and discovered a number somewhere in the eighties. Eighties! Yippee! Yeeha ! Hoo-rah ! I've been discovered by the webworld , o...