Skip to main content

Thank God for Gene Kelly

We delivered Eustacia to her college dorm on Saturday, and let me tell you—that was no fun at all. She'll be fine, but her poor mother feels as though she's missing a limb. Is this a phantom pain I'm feeling? It must be.

Sunday afternoon, No. 1 went back to her school in Columbus, and husband left for a three-day business trip. I had such big plans to clean out Eustacia's room and get it organized and vacuum in corners that haven't been cleaned in years—if you have ever seen her room, you know what a big undertaking this all would be—but when I found I was the only person in the house, that was the last room I wanted to be in.

I kept busy with other tasks instead...laundry, some sewing, a quick trip to the store for salmon and raspberries, and skimming the leaves and bugs from the pool. While I was puttering around, Turner Classic Movies was devoting the day to Gene Kelly, and the string of his great musicals kept me sufficiently distracted.

I started with An American In Paris. Next up was On the Town. Finally, Singin' In The Rain, my all-time favorite. Just think. They could have devoted the day to a cow like Joan Crawford, and I would have had to drown my sorrows in ice cream instead of fun movies. Wait, I did that anyway.

Today, they are playing the movies of Jack Palance. Ho hum. I don't like day-time TV very much, so maybe it's time to turn the stupid contraption off and crank up the old hi-fi and listen to something fun. Susie Q comes to mind, or maybe I should just stick with what works:

Comments

That photo of Gene Kelly is rather symbolic of your missing limb, Robyn. I see you singing through the rain of tears that are being shed (rightfully so)

Just me playing Dr. Frued again.

I'm in for the unexpected reaction myself, soon.
dive said…
Jack Palance?
Hee hee hee. Time for some more ice cream, Robyn.
Be brave for Eustacia's sake. She's going through the most exciting time of her young life right now; as happy as you are sad.
But when the tears need to come, let 'em come. They're a necessary release.
Of course I don't know what you're going through, being a non-breeder, but I know I hate it when my favourite blog-neighbour is feeling down.
Stick Gene Kelly on repeat play.
Scout said…
Rich and Cheri, how smart of you to think this is a metaphor. Honestly, though, I wasn't thinking that deeply. This song and scene just make me happy.

Dive, Jack Palance isn't so bad, it turns out. And she is having fun and meeting people already.
Anonymous said…
As I was considering how woefully poorly I've done on my diet today, I returned to your blog. I feel your pain, Robyn, because I so remember the emptiness. How 'bout we talk. I'll bring the Swedish Fish and peach ice cream.
Maria said…
I think you are doing wonderfully. I would probably be laying in my bed bawling and giving myself a bad headache....

And Singing in the Rain is a great way to drown your sorrows.
Alifan said…
What can I say Robyn.....so instead of words ....sending lots of cyber hugs for you to wrap yourself in. xxxx

Popular posts from this blog

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

Happy Birthday...

to me! Update: Since you have asked, I only got one actual packaged gift, a beautiful hand-made bracelet from a friend, but both girls were home for the weekend, and we had dinner at the lake and a relaxing weekend. Thanks to all of you for your lovely wishes!

My Sitemeter is All Bloated and Not Quite Itself

I'm tempted to let it sit on the couch with its feet curled up under a blanket, a hot cup of coffee in hand, a block of cherry almond bark Chocolove within reach, and An Affair to Remember spinning in the DVD player. I'm one of those obsessive bloggers, the kind who checks her sitemeter as often as possible throughout the day, the kind who gauges the quality of her writing by the number of readers who regularly stop by. I've become less interested in the overall number of hits and more interested in the number of repeat hits. The return visitors are the ones I long for. When my sitemeter reads forty at the end of the day, and the majority of those hits are webpals who have conversed, I'm happy. Forty may seem low to many of you, but I've only been at this since August. To me, forty is a jackpot. A few days ago, I sat down at my laptop and discovered a number somewhere in the eighties. Eighties! Yippee! Yeeha ! Hoo-rah ! I've been discovered by the webworld , o...