Skip to main content

Art Day

Bah. It's Art Day but I don't have anything to show you except more bags and earrings. Enough with those things already, I think, at least as far as picturing them every week. Maybe I should get back to painting.

In the meantime, I made a new friend yesterday. This subject loosely fits into the Art Day category because my new friend owns a small fabric shop in town, and she sells very cool batik material that has so far rendered a very cool reusable shopping bag and will next produce a small purse.

I was driving on what I refer to as "the back way" to the mall. It's a winding road that leads from a busy intersection to the outer edge of town, snaking along the river, turning sharply a few times, and then funneling under a narrow and dark overpass that can induce momentary claustrophobia if you're not careful. It was on this road that I stumbled upon a little fabric shop named The Material Girl. I can't imagine how this woman stays in business because her location hardly brings in foot traffic. She's been there for months, though, and seems to be on track for classes and developing a customer base. We'll see.

I decided to stop in and see what kind of store this was that advertised crafts and home decor along with fabrics. I was actually on an errand to replace a crappy coffee maker, so I wasn't in the mindset of fabric hunting. Note: I bypassed Wal-Mart for a potentially more expensive housewares store because I continue to boycott the leaching monstrosity of a retailer.

This little fabric shop holds a great selection of batiks and prints that will make for fun bags with interesting color combinations and patterns, and everything is reasonably priced. I picked up a yard of each of two bolts.

The highlight of this store, though, beyond the fabric selection and the fact that it is locally and privately owned, is that the owner was an instant friend. You know how you can occasionally run across someone like that? You have no idea who they are, but the minute you engage them in a conversation you connect.

Because no one else was in the store at the moment, I felt free to stand at the cutout table and chat away. I'd still be there talking to this woman if I hadn't had other things to do, like buy a coffee maker and make dinner and eventually go to sleep at night.

We talked about how our community's obsession with football has distorted the educational system on so many levels, and about how students lack respect for authority so that teaching has become more of a combative exercise than an instructive one—my new friend used to teach science and chemistry. Then we talked about how finding a student with ambition and goals is like finding buried treasure. I think she was seriously tainted by an unpleasant teaching experience.

We talked about how difficult it is to have children and to work at the same time, and sometimes you have to set your career goals aside or modify them completely for the sake of raising your children. And then we talked about earrings. I love conversations like that. They suit my wandering thought process.

This new friend of mine sells handmade jewelry on consignment and has offered me a space to sell my African bead earrings over the holidays.

I promised to be back, and while I will definitely return to this store for more batiks, I will really be visiting this store for more conversations and laughs with my new friend. I could kick myself for not asking her name.

Comments

dive said…
Bah! An art day with no photo!
There's nothing wrong with bags and earrings, Robyn.
The Material Girl is a great name for snagging passing crafty women; it obviously worked on you. And it sounds like you really have found a kindred spirit there, too. Excellent! I eagerly await more gossip from over the counter.
Anonymous said…
Well I had to get to the last sentence for the real chuckle! You can spend the next day or so (it won't take longer than that) before you're back again, guessing what her name might be.
She sounds like the perfect friend for you and a viable outlet for your crafts - earrings and bags and purses and even art. You might be able to set up a little corner of the shop for yourself so you can spend half a day a week chatting instead of the odd half hour.
I have an image of you already there Robyn, raking in the money, all of which you will spend buying more fabric! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...