Skip to main content

One Man's Garbage

After reading about the African trade beads I have been working with, my sister wrote to tell me about a necklace she has that is made from flip-flops. Sounds kind of icky on the surface, but considering these flip-flops have traveled the Pacific ocean, they have probably been washed clean of foot dirt.

Every year, thousands of flip-flops wash ashore along the coast of Kenya, coming from as far away as Japan, although I don't know how you can tell the origin of the things for sure. They junk up the beaches and kill the marine life that tries to eat them. And now they provide jobs for people who would otherwise subsist on fishing.

A group called UniquEco works with locals to gather the sandals and recycle them into things like toys, sculptures, and jewelry. The 120 people involved in the program now earn more than they normally would and can move beyond just surviving.


My sister's necklace (ab0ve) was made by a single mother who had no options or skills to support herself or her children. To avoid prostitution or worse, she began making jewelry from scavenged flip-flops and earns enough to feed and house her family. She uses heat to turn the old rubber into refined one-of-a-kind beads.

Flip-flops. Who would have guessed? I can't stand the things, but at least someone is finding a use for them.

UniquEc0's wedsite is still under construction. In the mean time, they are operating from a Flickr site here. Go buy something.

Comments

dive said…
It's great that they can make a living from our crap, Robyn; it is s shame that they need to, though.

We recycle crap shoes, too. All the used trainers and running shoes that would otherwise go into landfill get chewed up with car tyres and go to make the stuff we use on our school playgrounds (Playtop). It's great! You can bounce little kids off it and they come up smiling.
MmeBenaut said…
That's amazing Robyn but perfectly understandable. There are people all over the world who make things from recycled goods. I love recycling because I'm a "waste not, want not" kind of girl.
Shazza said…
Very cool! I shall pass this along!
Thanks for the link, Robyn.
I just bought a pair of flip-flops made from...used flip-flops.
Alifan said…
Robyn you always find such interesting things.....it sounds amazing and they look so good,and all from old flip flops......
Mrs. G. said…
These are just plain cool!

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.