Skip to main content

A Night at the Theater

Eustacia and I went to the local theater production of Beauty and the Beast, the Disney version, over the weekend. Yes, Small Town has a theater, The Little Theater, in fact. I don't know for sure, but I think the auditorium seats about 200. Just guessing. There were some ceiling tiles missing on the right side of the room, and there were enough spider webs and cobwebs hanging from up there to weave a rug.

Almost all of the performers were from either Small Town or Small Town Next Door, and they were excellent. Every one of them sang on pitch, and if they forgot any lines, you couldn't tell. The set was somewhat minimal, but I appreciate that because it lets you connect with the performers and the story without unnecessary distraction.

A horn player I know who is heavily involved in productions at this theater played Gaston. I wasn't sure what to expect because I have never heard him sing before, but he filled the role perfectly. He was just cheeky enough and just enough of a ham to pull it off. Oddly, he didn't look awkward in tights.

Belle was played by a local girl who is now in college, and she sings beautifully. As she has grown up over the years, I have heard her voice mature from something pleasant to something beautiful and skilled and sincere. I believe her talent surpasses her years.

I know I am an intolerant person when it comes to baby noises in public, but please explain to me why someone would take a one-year-old boy to a three-hour performance of a show that does not end until nearly 11:00 at night. And please explain to me why, when that person and that unhappy child are seated in an auditorium, I am seated right beside them. Every time. I couldn't be angry with the kid because it was past his bedtime, and he had every right to be pissed off. I was angry with the parents, though. I don't care how much they wanted their older kids to see the show—they were disruptive to the rest of the audience and the performers.

Overall it was a delightful experience. Our Little Theater is a treasure. They need new lights at $250 a pop, though, so if you're interested in being a patron...

Comments

Ah Beauty and the Beast, i loved the film and my youngest son was crazy about it. I envy your theatre production. Shame about the baby noises, i must say i'm equally intolerant. Do you also have friends like mine who carry on a telephone conversation with said bundle held screaming in arms next to the phone? Or who intersperse your talk with "yes you can, darling" or "no you can't" or "stop hitting your sister, Tommy!" ?? Annoying isn't it.
Anonymous said…
I agree with your assessment! Gaston was great, and Belle was, well...superb! We had a similar experience at the movie theatre Friday night, seeing "Dark Knight" no less, one that (in my opinion) absolutely no really young child should see! There were young, young children in attendance and even a babe in arms. The worst part, though, were the 2 couples sitting beside us. Between the 4 of them, they went in and out 10 times. Ten times. I was livid, and about ready to haul off and smack someone!
Anonymous said…
...forgot to mention that the two couples were climbing over us each time. grrr.
Alifan said…
Oh Robyn what a shame about the youngster,but it sounds like it was a good night otherwise.....

Lynn!!! have had that happen to me, but must admit I was rather strict with my boys when they were young, mind you we never had a telephone when they were young!!!!whoops that should bring the house down on me!!!!!
dive said…
The Little Theatre in Small Town. How delightful you make it sound, Robyn (apart from the cobwebs).
Did you tell "Gaston" he doesn't look awkward in tights?
Send a bill for $250 to the parents who didn't have the sense to take their children to a matinee performance. They can compensate everyone by buying a new light.

Mum: I am tremendously grateful for not having had a phone. It helped nurture my intense hatred of the stupid things. I didn't have one for years and now only have one under sufferance as I need it for my internet connection. As you know from all the times you've rung me and not got an answer, most of the time it is on "mute" and when it's not it is stuck in the vegetable rack in the kitchen with a cushion over it.
You only have yourself to blame. Hee hee.
Shan said…
I think it is possible that your town is exactly one notch bigger than mine because our theater is not quite as "on" and the tights tend to bag at the knees in our shows. :)
Otherwise, the things you write about I swear are happening here simultaneously. Small town living. So charming....with occasional drawbacks and cobwebs.

I am the same way about inappropriate baby placement. Get a sitter or stay home people! Same goes for cell phones. You can not possibly be so important that you have to take calls during meetings or in theaters. Harumph.
Mrs. G. said…
Everyone thinks I'm a shrew when I get annoyed about babies at public performances that are geared toward people who can control their crying. I think it is rude and disrespectful to the audience members and the performers. There. I've said it.
MmeBenaut said…
Haven't those parents heard of feeding a child during a performance with some warm milk which puts them to sleep while they're sucking on it?
Sounds like you had a great time otherwise, Robyn.
BTW seating for 200 is not considered small down here. I think our local theatre might hold 50!!

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...