Skip to main content

Art Day

You know it must be Friday because I'm showing more paintings. While I was reading up on the pines of Rome, I was intrigued by the shapes of the trees. They're more like umbrellas because of the way they are groomed as they grow—canopy trees—and they are often found growing near cypress trees. So, I set out to figure out how to paint them. I started small.

Then I worked a little bigger.

Then I worked even bigger, but this one was a bust. After it dried, I painted over it in white and started over. The second attempt was better but still not good, so I glued stuff on as a way to salvage it. I scanned in the first page of my Pines of Rome horn music and printed it on textured paper. Then I ripped the paper in strips and laid them out with wire, beads, bits of rusted window screen material, and a tiny horn charm (useless points for you if you can spot it). And I varnished the whole thing. I kind of like it. What do you think? (click on it for a bigger view).

Comments

savannah said…
lower left corner on the sheet music!

i like the mixed media idea of the larger piece. everything and anything about the trees. it's as if, everything you thought about as you were painting appeared on the canvas.

or is that just me, sugar? ;-)
dive said…
Rats! Beaten to the useless points by Savannah the early riser.
The little painting looks so cute beside the big one, Robyn.
I love collage; I remember your wonderful altered books from a while back. And the Pines of Rome score on the painting of the pines of Rome is such a good idea.
Excellent and fun.
Robyn? You're in the wrong job. Start selling immediately. This last one is great. I like the first one too, it's good to see that you are mixing on canvas and not bothering to wash your brush between shades. The texture is interesting. The mixed media approach works very well and, i think, sells well. Go for it!
Scout said…
Savannah, good spotting. I do tend to emote.

Dive, I had the altered book in mind when I attacked the painting. It really was fun.

Lynn, wow, thanks! I don't wash my brush between colors usually, but I do tend to wipe it off on paper towels when it gets out of hand. I am learning to only lightly mix, although I often do that on a pallet. I'm not wild about flat colors.
Mrs. G. said…
I think it is beautiful. I like the colors and texture. And I have a special affection for tiny paintings.
Shan said…
I like all the chunkiness of the big one and it seems quite original as well. But there's nothing that gets me more than a tiny painting. I just want to pinch those little trees and their little tiny sky! Squee.....cutie! I just think a whole wall of wee little painted canvases would look so great together! :D
I like how you added the torn sheet music and splashes of black to the bottom one. Good job Robyn!!!
Hey Robyn your daughter's photo is going down so well at my blog, thanks Daughter! Come and see!
Maria said…
I am a poor judge of artwork. I have been told that I don't have an "eye." But, I liked all the cool, smooth to the touch way these all looked.

I liked them. Very much.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...