Skip to main content

Tarts All Around

I'm talking about food, people. I did a little cooking over the weekend and made tarts—one savory and one sweet. Tarts are so versatile, and I'm still talking about food. You can create almost anything from the base. You can make beautiful things using a proper tart pan with a removable bottom (every kitchen should have them in different sizes), and you can create lovely and rustic free-form tarts. You can get all tarted up, so to speak. The key is to do what you like and use your favorite seasonings and fruits and shapes.

The leek and ricotta tart here is more rustic with a square crust. I love this simple recipe, which would also be great with caramelized onions and prosciutto replacing the leeks. The orange tart is more refined. It calls for a refrigerated pie crust, which I used because it was a busy day, but I would suggest making your own crust. It doesn't take long, and the texture will be much richer.

Simple Leek and Ricotta Tart
Makes 4

1 pound (500 grams) ricotta cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 eggs
Half package puff pastry, thawed
1 leek, trimmed and finely sliced
1 1/2 oz. butter, melted
2 teaspoons thyme leaves
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 355˚F (180˚C). In a small bowl, mix whisk ricotta, Parmesan, and eggs until smooth. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface until 1/8 inch thick. Cut into 4 squares and place on baking trays lined with parchment paper. Spread the ricotta mixture over the pastry squares, leaving 3/4 inch border. Place the leek on top of the ricotta mixture and brush edges of pastry with butter. Sprinkle with the thyme, salt, and pepper and bake for 25 minutes or until the leeks and pastry are golden.

from Donna Hay's Instant Entertaining.

Mascarpone Tart with Honey and Oranges

1 refrigerated pie crust (half of 15-ounce package)
2 large navel oranges
1 8-oz. container chilled mascarpone cheese
1/2 cup chilled heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons honey, divided

Preheat oven to 400°F. Press pie crust onto bottom and up sides of 9-inch-diameter tart pan with removable bottom; fold sides in and press to extend sides 1/4 inch above rim of pan. Pierce crust all over with fork. Bake until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes. Cool completely on rack.

Meanwhile, grate enough orange peel to measure 1 1/4 teaspoons. Cut off remaining peel and pith from oranges. Slice oranges into thin rounds, then cut rounds crosswise in half. Place orange slices on paper towels to drain slightly.

Combine mascarpone, cream, sugar, 1 tablespoon honey, and orange zest in medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat just until blended and peaks form (do not overbeat or mixture will curdle). Spread filling evenly in cooled crust. Arrange orange slices atop tart in concentric circles; drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon honey and serve. Garnish with chopped nuts, if desired.

from Bon Appétit, March 2007

Comments

dive said…
Yummy food and double entendres; a lovely combination, Robyn.
I particularly like the look of that leek tart. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.
I like the sweet one :)
Gina said…
I love tarts, I think people don't make them nearly enough.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...