Skip to main content

Nobody Needs Cheesecake, But Who Cares

Daughter No. 1 came home over the weekend, although she doesn't call it "home" anymore. I remember those college days when I started calling my dorm room "home," and the house I grew up in became "my parents' house." I still say she came home, though. She has become interested in baking, so we made a cheesecake together using my favorite cheesecake recipe—white chocolate with a cookie crust.

I decorated it with chocolate curls, although you can see from the picture that I have trouble making those. I melted chocolate and spread it in a thin layer on a plastic cutting board. After chilling it until it was solid again, I used a spatula at an angle of about 45˚ to push the chocolate into curls. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

I also made a raspberry sauce by stirring a bag of frozen raspberries in a saucepan over moderate heat. I added an unmeasured amount of sugar (not quite a cup, I bet) and stirred until the sugar melted and blended with the raspberries. I would normally add about a half cup of orange juice, but because there was barely any in the fridge, I used some sparkling grape juice instead. Odd that we would have that but not orange juice. Anyway, after the mixture boiled for a few minutes, I strained it through a metal sieve, wiped out the pan, and returned the strained sauce. I whisked in at least a tablespoon of corn starch and stirred until it was thickened. The sauce is great—not too sweet so it isn't overwhelming when drizzled over something like cheesecake.

Here is the cheesecake recipe. Enjoy.

White Chocolate Cheesecake
Crust:
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour

Filling:
4 8oz. packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 eggs
12 oz. white chocolate, melted and slightly cooled

Preheat oven to 325˚
Cream butter, sugar and vanilla in a small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour, mixing at low speed until blended. Press onto bottom of 9-inch springform pan. Prick with fork. Bake 25 minutes or until edges are light golden brown.

Beat cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla at medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, mixing at low speed after each addition, just until blended. Blend in melted chocolate. Pour over crust.

Bake 55 to 60 minutes or until center is almost set. Run knit or metal spatula around rim of pan to loosen cake. Cool before removing rim of pan. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. Garnish with chocolate curls and powdered sugar.

Tip: when baking cheesecakes, it's important to keep the oven moist. When preheating the oven, place a 13 x 9-inch baking pan half filled with hot tap water on the bottom rack. Bake the cheesecake on the middle rack above the pan of water. Avoid over baking—the center should be soft and moist and will firm during cooling.

Comments

dive said…
Now I'm traumatised!
I'm stuck here in my stupid office in London with seven hours to wait before I can get home and reach my fridge and you show me THIS?
AAUUGH !!!
And i feel inadequate. Thanks though. Looks delicious. I can make cheesecake. I can.
You'll need to check yesterday's comments to see the extent of my inadequacy.
Gina said…
Are you kidding? EVERYBODY needs cheesecake!

That looks utterly delish.
That looks so good Robyn, although I'm offended you didn't invite me over to share.
Alifan said…
That looks really tasty Robyn... I went out to lunch on Sunday and had Ginger and Lemon cheesecake that was rather nice as well...
Maria said…
I am salivating like Pavlov's dog here.....
Scout said…
Dive, sorry. It's all gone, if that helps.

Lynn, oh no. Don't feel inadequate. I'll go check to see why.

Gina, this one is absolutely wonderful because the crust is like a cookie.

Sorry, Rich. Next time I'll call.

Alifan, happy belated smothering day.

Maria, get yourself some cheesecake!
Robyn i've just been browsing your library in the sidebar. McCall Smith was interviewed on my favourite tv prog this week. The Book Show. You can see it here by searching his name but i know you will be interested to see the other interviews on the show too.

The Book Show book reviews and interviews with authors

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...