Skip to main content

The Motherload Part 3

Frank and Jesse James were notorious outlaws who ravaged Missouri and Kansas in the name of the Confederate Army and various guerrilla leaders. Missouri was a divided state with the territories near the southern border being pro-slavery, and the James family were slave owners. After the Civil War was over, the guerrilla fighters turned to robbing banks, stage coaches, and trains, allegedly focusing on enterprises owned by former Union interests. Some legends show Jesse James to be a bandit, and others equate him with Robin Hood for standing up for small farmers against infringing corporations. Regardless of the truth behind Frank and Jesse James, their mother was certainly no Maid Marian.

Zerelda Elizabeth Cole was born in Kentucky in 1825. After marrying Robert James, she moved to Missouri where her husband was a slave-owning hemp farmer and a Baptist minister. Robert died while preaching to gold miners in California, and Zerelda soon married a neighbor to help her get back on her feet. He died as well, and a year later Zerelda married a third time. Her new husband, Dr. Samuel, was a quiet and passive man, perfect for the six-foot-tall Zerelda because she was outspoken and used to having her commands followed. A relative described her by saying, "Zerelda had always given orders, but she had never taken any."

The doctor was a staunch Union supporter, and Zerelda was an outspoken supporter of the Confederacy. From day one, there was trouble in the Samuel-James house. Before the family was forced out of Missouri, their farm was often raided by the Union army looking for information about the James brothers and their gang, and Zerelda was anything but demure. She was proud of her sons and vocal about what she saw as their bravery and righteous action. Finally, the Union provost of Missouri recommended the whole family be removed, saying of the matriarch that she was "one of the worst women in the state."

After the war, the family was allowed back on their farm in Missouri. One night in 1875, it was raided by the Pinkerton detective agency, and an incendiary device was thrown into the house. It exploded and injured Zerelda so that she had to have her arm amputated the next day.

Throughout her sons' escapades, she would give interviews to the press and insist on their innocence while occasionally providing alibis and making threats to anyone who might provide witness against them. The James brothers became famous through exaggerated and even fabricated exploits told in dime novels. When Jesse died and was buried on the family farm, tourists would stop by to see the grave. Zerelda, never one to miss an opportunity for profit, would charge them a dollar for a tour of the farm and the grave and an extra 25¢ to take an "authentic" stone from the pile that covered it. As the stone pile decreased, she would haul up more from a nearby stream and sell them as well.

Zerelda Elizabeth Cole may not have fought and robbed and terrorized alongside her bandit sons as some legends suggest. She may not have specifically instructed them in the art of massacring towns people and unarmed soldiers. But she applauded them all the way, saying "No mother had better sons." It's always encouraging to have a supportive mother.

Comments

dive said…
Cool! What a splendid old battleaxe, Robyn.
It is true that behind every great (or at least infamous in this case) man stands a really scary woman.
I love these stories. they're real eye-openers.
More, please.
Mrs. G. said…
I have always been fascinated by the James Brothers. Interesting post. Have you seen the new flick The Assassination of Jesse James?

I should have known there was a powerful woman involved somewhere.
Wow there's a formidable woman if ever i saw one. God help the poor young woman who helped her into those busting corsets.

When we were little, i recall my brother used to 'be' Jesse James when playing with his friends. Being a girl, i'd just watch, fascinated, while brushing my doll's hair or knitting. He seemed to be some sort of hero for sure.
Utsav said…
These Motherload posts are really great, Robyn. Informative as well as touching. More please!

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...