Skip to main content

The Motherload Part 2

Amelia Earhart was a vanguard, a woman who wore trousers, believed in equality of the sexes, and flew an airplane all at a time when women were expected to sit quietly and keep their legs hidden under a big skirt. Disappearing somewhere in the Pacific wasn't the only thing she was famous for—Amelia was the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic, and she held a number of other records. She was an author, an advocate for women's rights, and a champion for aspiring female pilots. It's quite possible none of those things would have been true about her had it not been for the influences of her mother.

Amy Otis was a young woman of genteel society, the daughter of a well-known judge who sometimes took her on trips out west instead of going to school. They climbed Pike's Peak on one of those trips, and Amy claimed to be the first woman to make the entire climb. That's disputed, but the fact that she climbed it in 1890 when women weren't encouraged to be so adventurous said something about how she would live her life and raise her children.

Amy married beneath her socially, despite her father's objections, and set out to raise her daughters with the same independent and nonconformist approach she had adopted for herself. Her girls played baseball and hunted rats with their own gun. They played with bugs and rode horses. They rode snow sleds like boys, read books about adventures, and were encouraged to challenge the expectations of their surroundings and live out their dreams. To see that they were not hindered too much by all those billowy skirts that kept girls standing still, Amy dressed them in bloomers, a relatively new invention meant to free girls up and allow them to be active. At first, bloomers were consider improper for delicate girls, but the Earhart sisters ran wild in them and ignored the taunts of the other girls whose legs were still getting tangled up in petticoats.

Amy's husband was haphazard about making a living but not so undisciplined about being a drunk, so when it became necessary, she moved her girls to Chicago to find a better life for them. They flourished, and Amelia went to work pursuing her dream of flying.

Amy Otis Earhart did simple things to mold her daughters into passionate and independent women capable of denting the world in positive ways. It just shows that simple gestures and a steady example are sometimes all it takes to keep girls from being stuck in petticoats when they should be running free on their feet.

Comments

What a woman huh Robyn. Admirable, especially in her time. I don't object to petticoats, myself, though not in this metaphorical sense!
dive said…
Now I've got Joni Mitchell's "Amelia" stuck in my head, Robyn.
Which is actually no bad thing.
All these strong women and weak men … Brrr … Too scary!
do you beleive she was abducted by aliens?
Maria said…
My Da was fascinated with Amelia and had several books about her. I read all of them and remember being totally freaked out that she just disappeared.

Maybe she landed somewhere interesting and started a new world.
dive said…
Rich: I believe YOU were abducted by Aliens!
Mrs. G. said…
Amelia is on my top ten list of Secret Girlfriends. I have had a thing for her since seventh grade.

Did you ever read the novel I am Amelia Earhart? I liked it a lot.
Anonymous said…
As a pilot, I've always been in awe of what Amelia achieved. She was the original trailblazer of the skies and her loss was devastating. Great post, Robyn.
Shazza said…
I had a crush on Amelia Earhardt since I first read about her! What an incredible lady! Her Mom was incredible as well! My Mom was pretty adventurous, but I don't think she'd let us shoot rats...unless it came near her.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...