Skip to main content

All that Snow

Lynn has asked to see more photos of all of our snow. Well, I hate to disappoint, but after a week of occasional rain and temperatures in the 40s and 50s, here is what's left:

Actually, this picture is from yesterday morning, so right this very minute, all that is left is a puddle on my glass-top table. There are still piles of snow around town where it had been plowed up, but we're mostly green grass and muddy fields now. We are also full to the brim with swollen creeks and rivers.

Small Town has a dam that was built in 1936 by the US Army Corps of engineers, and it's being watched closely to make sure the river doesn't get too far away from where it belongs. There was a devastating flood in 1913 that caused a lot of damage in Small Town. This old dam, in need of reburbishing, assures that won't happen again, or at least we like to think it does.

Comments

soon when the weather is warmer I'll be by with my bathing trunks ready to jump in that there swimming pool of yours. ;))
I hope it works, Robyn. Thank you for showing the snow again. It's always sad when the snow disappears, all those snowmen just melting away... ah. It still looks pretty though there and you have a lovely garden. You could make a very tiny snowman.
dive said…
I'm glad spring is finally heading your way, Robyn.
I love that dam! It looks cool, the way it has weathered in to the landscape.
But most of all I couldn't help but notice what looks to be a cross between a director's chair and a rocking chair on your patio.
I WAAAAANT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Utsav said…
Nice patio, now that I can actually see it. It's so hot here in the tropics it's hard to imagine there's snow elsewhere in the world. Thankfully it rained today and it's a lot cooler now.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...