Skip to main content

Small Town Goes Festive

Small Town has a small dance school on the second floor of an old building on Main Street. There is a flower shop below named Blossoms that has painted its outside yellow with a lovely awning, and there used to be a pool hall next door that has gone out of business. Since I didn't open a cheesecake shop in my friend's old yarn shop, maybe I can start fantasizing about opening one next door to Blossoms.

Anyway, every year about this time, the dance school performs The Nutcracker in The Little Theater, but they have now moved their production to the auditorium of a local college. It has become a tradition for Daughter No. 2 and I to go to the ballet, and we went just a few days ago. It was lovely as always. Clara was played by No. 2's friend, and the girl was perfect. I lifted this picture from Small Town's newspaper, and it shows another girl playing Clara during a different performance (they take turns), but the idea is the same.

Two days later, my orchestra performed its annual Christmas concert. We played with a children's chorus made of 80 or 85 local kids, and we played with a gospel singing group just for something different.

Santa always shows up before the last song and tells extremely corny jokes and passes out candy canes to all the little kids. For a couple of years, he brought an elf girl along, and honestly, it was a little creepy. We were all a bit relieved when he appeared alone this year even though his jokes were just as bad.

The highlight was our performance of a new piece composed by our conductor that was to feature an antiphonal brass choir, and we rehearsed it well on Saturday afternoon. Because we were in the midst of a winter storm watch and tons of falling snow and icy roads and performers who showed up late, the piece was simplified to keep us all on stage for the evening's performance. It worked, but it would have been interesting to perform it as it was intended. Maybe next year. Another highlight, I didn't shy away from a high B that finished off a rousing Jingle Bells arrangement, and I hit it. It made me grin.

I'd say Small Town really knows how to celebrate Christmas as a community.

Comments

dive said…
Hoorah for hitting the high note, Robyn.
I hope you get the chance to perform the antiphonal piece soon.

The costumes in the ballet are splendid. I wonder if the chap on the left is laughing at one of Santa's corny jokes?
As for the elf girl; I would imagine Mrs. Christmas sent her packing.
Mrs. G. said…
Honestly, I really want to live in your small town...it's sort of like Grover's Corner.
Gina said…
Very cool! And yes, those costumes are lovely!

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...