Skip to main content

Mayhem in My House

I am overwhelmed. We are having some work done in our master suite—new floors, new shower, new countertops with new sinks. I came home one day to find the old sinks carefully set among the landscaping rocks, and for a moment I contemplated keeping them there. What do you think?

We have had builder types in and out of this house for weeks now. Currently, there is one guy putting down the floor, one guy doing odds and ends, and two guys stripping the treads on the stairs. Earlier there were two guys delivering mattresses, and they all knew each other from way back. I felt like I was intruding. Yesterday there was a plumber, and the day before a guy installing marble counters. There is so much dust in my house, I have to step outside just to catch my breath.

Well, at least the cats are enjoying the drop cloths and leaving their tracks all over the place.

Comments

dive said…
Hoorah for Mike and Tiger!

I think those basins would make pretty cool planters, Robyn.
Mrs. G. said…
In the spring I would plant some geraniums in those babies...I'm sure the neighbors would love it.
Terroni said…
I think the sinks should stay--nodern art.
Terroni said…
opps...that should have said, "modern" :>
Anonymous said…
Yes, good modern art - at least the rocks are lovely. And I clicked on the photo of the cats - the b/w one is so gorgeous and looks so much like the Tiger Jim cat we had (a stray who used to come every night but has disappeared, only to be replaced by a grey fluffy one with white paws and chest blaze).
I do admire you Robyn, doing such extensive renovations right on Christmas. I would love a "makeover" for our bathroom. It's coming next year, I'm told.
Gina said…
I rather like them there. They look very arty.
Anonymous said…
Turn them into a water feature.
Ya gotta love remodeling Robyn, It will be worth the trouble when it's all done.

we had our kitchen ripped out a few years ago, luckily in the summer so we did all the cooking outside on the grill. In my case I designed the kithchen myself and had a contractor build it. It was great seeing my ideas come to life.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...