Skip to main content

Listen to This, Would Ya?—The Christmas Song

Last year around this time, after mailing out my Christmas cards, I sang The Christmas Song for you as a kind of blogpal holiday greeting. This year, I have played it on the piano in Charlie Brown fashion. It might be best if you don't listen to the Vince Guaraldi recording first as I have made a few mistakes...not to mention that I tend to make up my own rhythms and follow my own tempo. When my daughters and I sit down to play our horns together, they can never watch the "beat" I tap with my foot because it often has nothing to do with the actual music we are trying to make.

Merry Christmas anyway.


Comments

dive said…
Beautiful, Robyn; just beautiful.
Sigh …
My very favourite Christmas song.
And so much nicer than the Vince Guaraldi version. He never could seem to get the page-turning bit right.

This could only be improved by having Nat King Cole crooning over the top.
Anonymous said…
That is lovely, Scout!...and I went back and listened to last year's singing of the same tune. Awesome!
PF
Scout said…
Dive,the page turning is an added bonus--you miss that in professional recordings, and it's a pity.

PF, coming from you, that is such a compliment. I just have fun with it. We'll have to get this book for you.
Bravo Bravo!!
I don't recall getting a Christmas card from you Robyn. hmmmm
Mrs. G. said…
Wonderful! Thank you.
Maria said…
Holy shit. Not only can you sing, you can play in such a lovely way, too.

Do you dance as well? Cook?

Because I know you can write.....
Scout said…
Rich and Mrs. G, thank you very much.

Maria, you are kind. I can't dance to save my life. I do what I call "chair dancing," moving around from the safety and comfort of my seat. I have a friend who directs a steel drum band, and she occasionally instructs her audience to at least "chair dance."

I like to cook, though.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...