Skip to main content

It's Not A Job

A sigh of relief, a project completed, phew. I finished NaBloPoMo and didn't miss a day. When I first started blogging over a year ago, I had no problem posting every day and would sometimes even post two or three entries on any given day depending on my level of motivation and inspiration. But doing something willingly and being forced to do it changes the nature of the project. And completing the job that is required feels a lot different when you're finished, like the pressure is off.

The thing with NaBloPoMo is that it's voluntary, and the consequences of missing a day really are minimal. So you can't win a prize in the end. Big deal. It won't look bad on a resume if you don't complete NaBloPoMo. Your reputation won't be tarnished. It just seems like a job once you sign up. It just seems like something that is required, and now that it's over, even though I enjoyed myself, I welcome December when I post when I want to and take break when I choose.

During these last 30 days, I spent an entire week talking about tuna fish. I learned about toilets and toilet paper and sanitation around the world. I went back to acknowledging the birthdays of interesting people in history, something I may continue doing. And I recorded myself playing the piano and the recorder, something I also may continue doing, although probably not on Saturdays. I may come up with a feature like "Listen to This, Would Ya Wednesday," but my repertoire is limited—any requests?

I like working on week-long series subjects and have been challenged to explore mashed potatoes. I am up for the challenge, although it may take me some time to put my thoughts together. While I think about spuds, are there any subjects you think I should dig into and spend a whole week rambling on and on about?

Comments

dive said…
Congratulations on completing / enduring another NaBloPoMo, Robyn.

You are right about it becoming a chore when you have promised yourself a post every day. Last year I found NaBloPoMo tough going, but this year - when I didn't take part - I had no problem posting every day because the pressure was off.

Your Tuna Noodle Casserole Week and Toilet Week were wonderful, and I'm so glad to see the birthdays feature making a welcome return. I love your recordings although I don't want to put you through hours of practice just to play requests. Bill Evans' piano interludes from Miles Davis' "Blue In Green" might be nice to try, though.

Mashed potatoes sound fun, too. Good winter comfort food. As for other subjects, I'll have to think some up. I'll try not to make them too "Dive" Hee hee.
NaBloPoMo and a big YAWN!!
Mrs. G. said…
I learned more about tuna casserole and toilet paper than I ever thought possible. Thanks for the good times.
Scout said…
Dive, did you really post every day anyway? I'm a little afraid of the subjects you might suggest--I'll have to get a dictionary.

Rich, I'm sorry. Are you bored? Shut up.

Mrs. G, I had no idea there was so much to say about those things either. Glad you enjoyed yourself here in my humble home.
Gina said…
I don't think I will do NaBloPoMo again next year. But congrats for finishing!

How about going into the history of food in different eras? Or how we eat? Or the history of marching bands?

It seems to me that you are interested in broad, historical perspectives, thus, my suggestions.
Sorry; what is NaBloPoMo? I'm obviously out of the loop.

I'd like you to explore innovative ways of making extra cash!

Quick & easy recipes

How to get our fab novels actually published.
Scout said…
Lynn, it stands for National Blog Posting Month, and by joining up, you agree to post every single day for the month of November. At the end, a few of those who made it through are chosen randomly to receive handmade gifts like mittens and scarves, etc.

Gina, I'm not sure if I'll do it either. It was interesting to come up with a post for every day, but it saps the energy, and I found I was less likely to spend time reading other blogs.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...