Skip to main content

Christmas Parade in Small Town

Small Town has put on another spectacular Christmas parade. Hundreds of people lined the route as dozens of entries passed by—lighted floats, children's dance teams, the local National Guard Amory, the mayor, the marching band, and Santa on a sleigh. The float above, with the flowing fountain, is from the bank where I keep my cash.

There was a dancing Ronald McDonald doing his hip-hop moves in his big red shoes, a group of dogs wearing bright pink T-shirts to represent a local animal hospital, a few horses followed by people with shovels and buckets, various queens waving that weird open-palm queen wave, the local soap-box derby club, and so much more. I met a girlfriend at this event, and we had a great time drinking coffee from My Favorite Place for Joe and catching the odd piece of candy that was tossed in our direction.

I don't remember who sponsored this float, but it was full of people sitting among big penguins, and it was very well made.

This float was sponsored by my local grocery store. The giant dog was so well-done, although I have no idea what his significance is to their business. Just a big dog.

After the parade, the marching band goes around the block and ends up in front of Santa's house. They play a few songs, and then the mayor sits down with all the little kids and reads 'Twas the Night Before Christmas to them. Then Santa takes his place inside the house, and people pass out hot cocoa. OK. That is what is supposed to happen, but this year, just as Santa brought up the rear of the parade, a huge gust of wind blew through and brought sleet and rain with it. The band skipped their last song, and the kids had to huddle against the elements with the mayor. A wonderful evening all in all.

Oh, and the mayor also unveiled a stone that marks the place where a time capsule has been buried, to be dug up in 100 years. If you read my short story last month, you'll understand the significance of that--an odd coincidence indeed.

Comments

dive said…
The mayor must have read your story, Robyn.
Those floats are really impressive! It sounds like a wonderful night out, regardless of the weather.
Talking of which, do you have snow there, yet?
Scout said…
We got two inches overnight, Dive, and we're expecting another couple of inches by the end of the day. It's a lovely winter day.
Mrs. G. said…
I love a parade...sigh. When did Ronald McDonald start hip hopping?
dive said…
Yikes!
I'm too old for snow, these days, Robyn. You're very welcome to keep it all over your side of the Atlantic.
Brrr …
Anonymous said…
Lovely photos Robyn. Snow! How wonderful to live somewhere where you have a white Christmas. It is my dream to spend Christmas in a ski resort one year before I die. M.B however is a beach bum - any beach will do, so we are heading to Sydney for Christmas this year. As my father died this year, I'm having a break from the whole family affair.
Maria said…
Well, I stand with Dive on this one. Any snow is NOT lovely in my eyes. We are expecting our first winter storm tonight and I am decidedly cranky.

But, I'm the dumb ass who lives in Nebraska, aren't I?

You are SO very welcome for the recommendation of later, at the bar. Wasn't it just a spectacular read?

And, small town parades are better than Macy's. I believe this with my whole heart. More heart.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...