Skip to main content

Christmas Around the World

Miz Minka has written a lovely post about a Christmas tradition she grew up with in Germany—Saint Nicholas Day. Where I grew up, traditions were built around December 24th and 25th with no thought to what went on in other cultures on other days. When I was little I really did believe Santa Claus flew around the world all in one night because I thought everyone celebrated the same way I did. Now, of course, I know not everyone does celebrate Christmas the same way or even celebrates at all, so I have a better understanding of how Santa is able to deliver so many presents in one night.

I grew up about an hour from Chicago, and every year about this time the grade school teachers would shove us all on buses with our sack lunches and permission slips from home and take us to The Museum of Science and Industry. It is an amazing place year round, but at Christmas, it is magic. The museum exhibits a hall of decorated trees representing countries from around the world. It began in the 40s as a way to honor the allies, and there were only twelve trees that year. Now, there are over 50, and residents of Chicago decorate them in some significant fashion to represent the culture and tradition of each country.

I have lots of fond memories of Christmas as a child, but one that I really treasure is the memory of standing in the rotunda of the Museum of Science and Industry surrounded by giant decorated trees. We were small-town children bundled up in our coats and scarves and name tags, and our voices echoed through the hall to make us feel small. But for that one day, we were exposed to children from places like Russia and Japan and Brazil, if only by the unique ornaments on the trees that represented their countries. For that one day, we were part of Christmas Around the World.

Comments

Maria said…
I was exactly like you, except that I lived in small town Iowa and there was no big city museum to attend. But, my family was extremely religious and I have clear memories of being led down the upstairs steps blindfolded, in my Christmas finery...and taken out to the car to attend 7:00 mass. After mass, we would go kneel by the manger and say Happy Birthday to the baby Jesus and then head for home and gifts! And my Da would playfully say on the way home, "I feel like going out for breakfast today! Anybody wanna?" We would all chorus "NO!" and go home.

I wasn't allowed to have friends who weren't Catholic, and later not allowed to date non-Catholics.

I believe this is how you produce a lesbian......:)
Well of course he flies around in one night! I just heard his bells actually (he sometimes does prep-flights just to make sure we haven't moved).

Beautiful tree that, Robyn. You're right when we were small the idea of other people celebrating in different ways didn't come up.
Mrs. G. said…
What a cool memory and an equally cool tradition. I can imagine how beautiful and exciting it would have been to see the museum in all it's holiday glory. Beautiful photo by the way.
dive said…
What a great idea.
Lynn's right. When I was a kid, we assumed everybody else got to do the same things at Christmas: argue about who played what in the Nativity Play and find an orange and a walnut in a sock at the foot of our bed on Christmas morning.
I wish it were still like that.
Ahhh the orange and walnut Dive!! Actually satsumas. he he. Gold chocolate coins too? And a 50p.

I still do stockings for all three boys even though the eldest is nearly 21. Pah! Who cares. I'll still be doing them when they're forty.
Anonymous said…
I've never actually thought much about how other countries celebrate christmas. I'm luckey enough to have decorations for my tree from the Black Forest and from Italy. And I have globe trotting in laws so I might make that my christmas wish from now on. Bring me back something christmassy from all of the different countries they visit.
Gina said…
That looks just gorgeous!

I can imagine the impression that must have made on you!

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...