Skip to main content

And I Was Hoping for an A

One of my favorite features of Small Town's newspaper is the 30 Seconds column. I have mentioned it before—you can call anonymously and leave a voice mail message about anything you want to say as long as you aren't foul and you don't call someone a son of a bitch. Quite often, people call to gripe about or praise the syndicated columnists on the editorial page.

Some people like Cal Thomas, some people think he's a hypocritical pig. Some people love Maureen Dowd, and some people think she is venomous and imbalanced. People form their opinions of the editorial writers based on their political and religious leanings, and they can be very black and white when they decide who to agree with.

But one 30 Seconds comment showed so much insight and thoughtfulness, I was proud to be a citizen of Small Town. The caller complained that some of the columnists use words that were too big and unfamiliar. "We are simple townfolk here," he said, or maybe it was a she. "We need plain speaking people to write for the paper."

Oh. We are simple townfolk, so that means we have a limited vocabulary. That means we don't own dictionaries, or if we do we can't be bothered to crack them open. Newspapers are already written at a 6th-grade reading level. I suppose the caller thinks we should be spoon-fed the news with a Dick and Jane reader with words no more than one syllable each. I bet he understands the word "lazy," but I wonder if he understands the word "ambition" or "initiative" or "get-your-nose-out-of-the-comics-and-read-a-book-once-in-a-while."

I don't have a huge vocabulary, but I'm hardly a moron. If I read an unfamiliar word that I can't define in its context, I look it up. It's part of the learning process, which is something that should last a life time, not something that stops when you dropped out of school in the 9th grade because all that book learning was too much work.

I may be a proud citizen of Small Town, and someone passing through might even think I am one of the townfolk, but that doesn't have to make me simple minded. Just to see for sure, I took this little quiz to test my vocabulary. Now I'm going to have to look up "ameliorated."

Your Vocabulary Score: B+

You have a zealous love for the English language, and many find your vocabulary edifying.
Don't fret that you didn't get every word right, your vocabulary can be easily ameliorated!

Comments

Sassy Sundry said…
Those tests are always so subjective. I think you deserve an A. So there. You get one from me.
dive said…
You're a writer, and so exempt from being lumped with your townsfolk, Robyn.
They are Americans. What do you expect from a people who cannot spell "colour"? OW! Ooh! OW … Stop hitting me!

And you can have my "A" if you'd like.
Hee hee
Anonymous said…
Robyn, I just tried it over at Dive's. Yep. He stole it. I got an A and I'm an erudite person too. (Sorry). Anyway, I love a good quiz.
M.B. is a grandpa again - little girl, Ella Grace, was born in Switzerland on Sunday. So nice to have a little girl as cousin to William. We are so proud of Rachel and Henry for so diligently setting about their task with such stunning results.
wheresroxy said…
Hrrrmmm.... I can certainly think of a few words he should perhaps take the time to look up...
And you can have my "A+" on that test if you'd like it.
Scout said…
Sassy, I took it twice and still got a B+. Stupid test.

Dive, maybe it's the British who spell "color" incorrectly. Ever think of that? Ow.

Mme, congratulations to MB on the birth of another grandchild!

Wheresroxy, I'll keep trying for my own A, but thanks. If only they would tell me what I am getting wrong.
Mrs. G. said…
It can be a treacherous mistake to confuse simple with stupid...I think people do it a lot.

Just because you brought her up. Lately, when I read Maureen Odowd, I feel like I need to go take a shower...she's lost me.
I was hoping for an 'A', also! But...there it was: a B+.

Inherently flawed (the test, not us!).
Gina said…
I got an A, but for some reason I know all sorts of weird words.

Popular posts from this blog

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...