Skip to main content

Sundry's Going to the World Series

...and Scout is staying home.

Well, it is just a game, isn't it? Just a past time and a source of local pride, unless you're the type to be a Yankee's fan or a Cub's fan no matter where you live. While I was rooting for the Indians, if they had been playing the Cubs instead of the Red Sox, I would have had to cheer on the team of my youth. Losers all around.

When I was a kid growing up near Chicago, the Cubs were the team to love. There were no lights in Wrigley Field, so all the games were played in the afternoon. We never went to a game because my father thought "what kind of fool would want to sit there in the middle of alla that when you can watch it right here in your own house?" The games were on TV every weekend, and that was my exposure to baseball and the Cubs. That's all I knew until I moved to Chicago to go to college.

On warm sunny days in the spring, my friend Wendy and I would talk big about skipping class and going to a game. When we scraped up enough cash for a couple of tickets and a hot dog or two, we took the train to Wrigley Field, a neighborhood ballpark with gates right on the street--no massive parking lots or upscale venues for the Cubs. Just baseball.

Business men in suits walked in with us, skipping work to eat peanuts, have a couple of beers, and sing Take Me Out to the Ball Game with Harry Carey. It was such a great afternoon, we decided to cut class and go to a Cubs game anytime we could afford it.

A few years later, Wrigley Field finally installed lights after a big debate and argument from the neighbors. Being able to play night games was perceived as a loss to the simplicity of the game and the nature of the ballpark. It turned out to be a good thing, but it cut down on those afternoon games that let people be shiftless employees and absent students on any given day.

They say "once a Cubs fan, always a Cubs fan." I have been to Cubs games in Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Los Angeles, and judging by the number of fans who show up in all of those cities, I have to believe that's true. They have lost time after time, almost making it but not quite. And at the end of each season, hearty Cubs fans from around the country say, "well, there's always next year." Go Cubs.

Comments

dive said…
Join our club, Robyn.
We're mourning our lost rugby world cup final over in England, but there'll be another chance in four years so we're not too dejected.

How often does your world series come round? I'll be rooting for the Indians next time, too.
Sassy Sundry said…
Robyn, I did think of you. I'm sorry the tribe lost. And I'm even sorrier about the Cubs.
Anonymous said…
You guys can cheer with me now! The Rockies have been an awful team for years, but we just swept both series leading up to the world series. It's always fun to cheer for the underdog, no matter how your own team did.
Go Cubs!! I like the Cubs - actually in 2004 I was hoping for a Red Sox Cubs world series but it didn't happen. I remember watching some of those Cubs day games on cable TV back in the 80's It was kind of nice to be able to watch baseball in the middle of the day.
Elle said…
Found you on NaBloPoMo and I was pulling for the Indians as well, mainly cause I'm tired of the Bo Sox. I've been a Braves fan for years as well and I am definitely used to "getting close" but no donut. Let's go Rockies!!!!!
Gina said…
I love Cubs fans, they love so unstintingly.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.