Skip to main content

Pumpkin Bread Pudding

I have never been a fan of bread pudding. It's an ugly food. My mother grew up on a sparse farm in Alabama during the Depression, and her evening meal often consisted of a hunk of corn bread in a glass of milk. I imagine after soaking for a bit, that must have looked like bread pudding.

But it's fall. The air is crisp, the leaves are turning, and it's time for baking and pumpkins and lovely smells from the kitchen. Does this need to bake and stock up on provisions come from my ancient ancestors who hunted and gathered just to survive through the winter, like a bear fattening up before hibernating? I'm not sure, but it does seem that I am stocking up for a long, hard winter.

While at Williams-Sonoma the other day, I bought a mix for pumpkin cake. Everything from Williams-Sonoma, even their mixes, is trustworthy, so I baked it in a cake pan shaped to look like a sunflower, and I set it out on my best crystal plate. I must have baked it for too long, though, and it was nearly too dry to be edible, kind of like that old corn bread from my mother's childhood without the milk.

In order to salvage the thing, I cut it into cubes, dried it out a little, and used it to make pumpkin bread pudding. It is indeed ugly but very, very good. Here is the recipe from Gourmet magazine, so now you can fatten up before hibernation right along with me.


Pumpkin Bread Pudding

Makes 6 servings

1 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs plus 1 yolk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
Pinch of ground cloves
5 cups cubed (1-inch) day-old baguette (or dried up pumpkin cake you wouldn't feed to a dog)
3/4 stick unsalted butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle.

Whisk together cream, pumpkin, milk, sugar, eggs, yolk, salt, and spices in a bowl.

Toss bread cubes with butter in another bowl, then add pumpkin mixture and toss to coat. Transfer to an ungreased 8-inch square baking dish and bake until custard is set, 25 to 30 minutes.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I so remember bread pudding from my childhood. My great aunt lived with us for a time, and she always made it. I didn't like it! She always said, "But you like everything in it!" ...and I said, "Just not all together". Yuk.
PF
Fresh Hell said…
Mmmmmm . . . pumpkin.

I feel fatter just for reading the recipe. You food porn distributor, you! (see . . . not so sanitized; one needs only read between the lines)
dive said…
Good grief, Robyn, are you trying to kill me?
Mrs. G. said…
Way to recycle, Scout. I'm not sure I would have had the fortitude to take that next step. Yum.
Gina said…
I need to "unfatten" myself! I have plenty to go around already!
Anonymous said…
Pumpkin custard, pumpkin pies, you guys do know its a vegetable right?

Sounds interesting, if i ever get ove rthere i'll try all of these pumpkin things, if i made it over here they'd lock me up for mental instability and taking creative cooking too far.
mmm i ADORE bread pudding, uglier the better. Not sure about pumpkin though, maybe i'll try it...
Every recipe should start with "1 cup heavy cream".

Until I lived in the deep South, I never liked bread pudding. There, they make the most delicious, hit-you-over-the-head bourbon sauce (lots of bourbon, butter, bourbon, sugar, etc...) to go on top. Now that's living!

I think that might be an appropriate crowning touch to this recipe, as well.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...