Skip to main content

Small Town Feud

There is a small feud building in my town.

The curvy road I live a few yards from converges at a stop sign with another curvy road, both ending at an odd T-shaped intersection. You can turn right to head to points south, or you can turn left to head into Small Town and places like My Favorite Place for Joe and the disappearing yarn shop. Turning right isn't a problem, but as is true with most intersections like this, turning left can try the patience of the most emotionally balanced driver.

One man in a dirty pick-up truck has solved the problem of waiting by going around the stop sign and driving on the grass, thumbing his nose or whatever at the established practice of waiting your turn in line, turning his back on organization and fairness. This spot of grass that he drives over seems to be easement, like a peninsula jutting out into the pavement, but the person who lives on the corner has taken action as if he owns the place.

When the man on the corner has trees trimmed, he drags the branches over to the easement and builds a barrier to keep the truck from by-passing the stop sign. In the past, these barriers have only been tall enough to prove a challenge to the driver. They have given him something interesting to drive over and grind into what is now just dirt and gravel. Before long, there is nothing left of the branches but a few stray twigs, and the passage is clear.

Well, the man on the corner has wised up, and his new barrier is half the height of my car. He has amassed so many branches he could have a bonfire to blaze all day if someone were to light a match. I have watched this pile grow over the last couple of days as I wait dutifully at the stop sign like a normal citizen, one who respects the rules of orderly conduct. You use your turn signal, you slow on the off ramp and not on the highway, and you wait your turn at stop signs.

I am now waiting for the reaction of the guy with the truck, the one who seems to have waged a full-fledged feud with the guy on the corner. I am waiting for Ernest T. Bass to throw stones. And I am waiting for the day the guy on the corner buries tire-puncturing spikes underneath the brush pile. This is going to be fun.

Comments

dive said…
Somebody ought to get those two guys and smack their heads together until they grow up.
Sheesh!
Gina said…
Get the popcorn!
dive said…
I think I'm going to have to watch "The 'Burbs" again.
Miz Minka said…
I'm bringing a lawn chair, a bag of pretzels and a six-pack. Fun-ny! (Well, not for the guy on the corner, but still!!)

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...