Skip to main content

The Patch

My friend C's store is called The Giggle Patch, after an imaginary place her daughter toyed with as a child. The Giggle Patch is a yarn and bead shop where people buy fine yarn, learn to knit, and make jewelry. But it is so much more than that.

Because my friend has such a giving and welcoming heart, it's a place where people can bring a cup of coffee, plop down on the little burnt-orange sofa, kick back, and relax. Someone in that restful situation might occasionally even giggle. When the shop opened two years ago, I found myself relaxed on that sofa quite often--in the afternoons while waiting for school to let out, early on Saturday mornings with a latte from My Favorite Place for Joe, on days when I taught remedial knitting classes, and on those odd occasions when I even manned the store for the day.

I have loved The Giggle Patch, although of course I have loved my friend even more. She is a joy. She is also moving to Georgia, following her husband who has been transferred there. When I found out earlier this summer, I was deflated and wanted to cry. I think the only reason I didn't, at least not right away, is because I didn't want to add the burden of my sorrow to C's already heavy load of packing up her house, selling the excess, selling her house, and saying "good bye" to her daughter who will stay here to work. She will also be closing The Giggle Patch.

There was a possibility of selling it to a delightful woman who would continue its success, but it wouldn't be the same, would it? Even if this woman, someone I barely know, were to allow me to lean back on the sofa with my feet on the table and a cup of coffee in my hand, it wouldn't feel right. I suspect it would feel like sitting in the formal living room of a stranger, and I shouldn't stay more than a minute or two. I wouldn't feel quite at home the way I have felt with C as the owner.

I'll find another source for yarn, I'm sure. But I won't find another Patch, with C waiting with open arms always ready for a hug. I will miss her and her yarn-shop hospitality. And I will miss her welcoming smile that always greeted me when I walked through the shop door.

This little girl is the store logo that we designed together. I dressed her for the seasons like a paper doll in all the marketing pieces. I will miss her, too.

Comments

bye bye Patch!!!
dive said…
That's sad, Robyn; it sounds like a lovely, old-fashioned, friendly place to be.

And Woohoo, Rich! When I have meetings in the mornings you get to beat me to Robyn's comments box.
Drat!
Gina said…
That is so sad! A double loss of your friend and her store.
Alifan said…
Robyn how sad, what a wonderful shop and friend, as you know my cousin and her friend run the needlecraft shop in town, and it is just like you walking into your friends shop, so much more than just a shop that sells craft things.....

I wish her well, and hope you manage to still use the shop, after all we need the "stitching bints" to keep going!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...