Skip to main content

One of those Meme Things

I stumbled on this thing at Dive's, which he evidently lifted from Maria. Since I didn't have much to say today anyway, here we go.

Hi, my name is
Robyn.

But you can call me Scout. Please. I have been asking people to call me Scout since I was a kid and fell in love with To Kill A Mockingbird. Only two people have obliged.

Never in my life have I smoked pot. I had a friend in art class my sophomore year who kept a joint in his wallet, and he showed it to me once. A couple of weeks later, he ran away to Florida with his pregnant girlfriend, so I never got a chance to do anything more than take a peak.

When I am nervous I bite my nails. I usually plan on losing one nail for every orchestra concert, and sometimes one for every rehearsal depending on the music on tap.

The last song I listened to was Seventy-Six Trombones from The Music Man. I was listening to the Broadway channel in my car.

If I were to get married right now, it would be to Gregory Peck. It's a fantasy question, so I can choose a dead actor if I want to.

My hair has formed an escape committee. (I'll steal Dive's answer because it's appropriate)

When I was four, I was afraid of going to kindergarten, and I stood in my big picture window in the living room and cried. My earliest memory, actually.

Last Christmas I did what I always do: I flew to Georgia and spent a few days with my mother and sisters and their families. I ate turkey and cornbread dressing, and I played Rook.

I should be published.

When I look down I see a funky necklace from World Market. It must have a million tiny beads strung on it, and it smells like pennies.

The happiest recent event was playing the Labor Day concert in the park.

If I were a character in Friends, I'd be a fraction of Phoebe. She is a bit too much, but we both tend to be wide-eyed and literal and gullible.

By this time, next year, I'll be living in a house without my children for the first time in twenty-one years.

My current distress is the divisive nature of the congress. It was the same during the Clinton years, and I suspect it will be the same with the next leader regardless of party.

I have a hard time understanding math, but honestly, I don't fret about it. I have a calculator for little things, and I ignore the rest.

There's these girls who play tennis with one less coach because their town won't vote for the school levy. They are troopers, every one of them.

If I won an award, the first person I would tell is the first person I encounter. I don't win awards as a rule.

I want to buy a teleporter to save me from having to fly to Georgia for Christmas. I don't get to spend very much time with my family, so any time I can shave off of the traveling would help.

I plan on visiting Mexico in January.

If I could spend the night at any house, it would be the White House. I want to explore every room and learn all of its secrets.

The world could do without church denominations.

The most recent thing I bought myself is yarn. I am amassing a small stash.

The most recent thing that someone else bought for me was coffee and a chocolate chip cookie.

My middle name is Gail. I don't care for it now, but when I was a kid, I wished it had been my first name.

In the morning everything leads to that first cup of hot, rich, smooth coffee. Yum

Last night I observed my immune system fighting something icky and bronchial. It seems to be winning so far.

There is this guy I know who is a drummer and a hot-air balloon pilot, although he sold his balloon in order to send his son to college. I hope he gets to fly again.

If I was an animal, I would be a cat. They are elegant and get sleep as much as they like, and they are fascinated with small things. I could do without their personal grooming techniques, though.

A better name for me would be Black-Eyed Pea, which was a nickname I had as a kid. Scout, too. Scout would be good.

Tomorrow, I am going dress shopping for my daughter's homecoming dress. Yippee.

Tonight, I am going to a high school football game where I will people-watch with my friend Mel and drink coffee.

Comments

dive said…
Hey there, Scout!
Great answers.

Your hair has NOT formed an escape committee. Your hair is great! It just loves to party, that's all.

Pennies smell? (I ask as an anosmic).

You plan on visiting Mexico in January?
Is that a hint that you're planning some kind of heist in December?

Good luck with your icky bronchial thing. Let's hope your immune system gives it a good slapping.
Sassy Sundry said…
Knit, Scout, knit! Woo hoo.

You have great hair.
Gina said…
What a fun meme!

There definitely seems to be yucky stuff floating around!
peahen said…
We need to see the yarn, Scout.

If you like the name, why not use it as your screen name? That way we'd all be using it! Go on- one of the great things about web 2.0 is reinventing yourself.
In the morning everything leads to that first cup of hot, rich, smooth coffee. Yum
Now you're talking.

I just got to know a lot more about you Scout.
Maria said…
You do realize that forever more you will be Scout, don't you?

I'm with you on that coffee. If I don't get my cuban coffee every morning, I am just a sad, ugly woman.

And for the record, I think you should be published too.
Anonymous said…
yes, you should be published. however, i think you took a "peek," not a "peak." :P

when is #2's homecoming? i ate at a japanese steakhouse last night (!!) and the place was packed with high schoolers in homecoming attire. eeee. but big fires on the table and large quantities of fried rice, those are good things.

yay mexico!

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...