Skip to main content

Eggs for Breakfast

Several years ago, when I was quite large and wanted to see less of myself in the mirror, my doctor suggested I try eating a low-carbohydrate/high protein diet, thinking it would not only help me shrink a bit but also level out my blood-sugar levels. He was right.

The plan was to start the day with mainly protein--eggs, bacon, sausage and cheese in various moderate combinations. I started out happy with my breakfast plate and eager to prepare it every day, but after years and years and years of the same thing morning after morning, I am in need of an egg lift.

I have had scrambled eggs. Boiled eggs. Omelets. Fried eggs over easy. Egg salad. Eggs with cheese. Eggs without cheese. Eggs in the form of crepes sprinkled with cinnamon. Eggs in the form of pancakes made with a bit of soy flour. Eggs in the form of crustless quiche. Eggs with a whole-grain cracker that is not unlike a cardboard wafer. I have tried them all.

I have taken weeks off at a time, substituting high-protein cereals or bread or breakfast bars, but those things all metabolize so quickly that I am left hungry and shaking hours before lunch time, so I am back on the eggs with three slices of small center-cut bacon cooked in the microwave.

If I could take one day at a time with the things, I might not feel as though I am in an egg crisis, but I can't help but think, every morning while standing over the sauté pan, that I will be eating eggs every single day for the rest of my life--day after day, year after year, on and on and on.

So, I am asking for advice here. How do you like your eggs, and do you have any unusual ways to prepare them that don't involve changing their color or serving them with a mouse?

I could not, would not, on a boat.
I will not, will not, with a goat.
I will not eat them in the rain.
I will not eat them on a train.
Not in the dark! Not in a tree!
Not in a car! You let me be!
I do not like them in a box.
I do not like them with a fox.
I will not eat them in a house.
I do not like them with a mouse.
I do not like them here or there.
I do not like them ANYWHERE!

Comments

dive said…
Chocolate eggs. Yum!
I make a great omelette with Veggies and some different flavors of cheese.

I don't have any more ideas than what you mentioned other than deep fried eggs?? yuck
Scout said…
Chocolate eggs, Dive? Why didn't I think of that! They would certain keep my blood/sugar level even.

Rich, adding veggies sounds nice unless I have to cook them first. I don't want to spend an hour on breakfast. And deep fried eggs? This is the week of the county fair--I bet there is a deep-fried egg wagon somewhere on the midway.
Gina said…
Yes, I like omelettes as well.

And, a sort of Egg McMuffin type of thing, with wheat muffins, scrambled eggs, cheese, and bacon. Or sausage.
Miz Minka said…
I like mine just plain boiled...so they're medium done, the yolk still kind of soft-ish. Not runny-slimy, but not solid either. Eat it by the spoonful with a little salt & pepper, and a piece of buttered whole wheat toast...yum!

My little sister's version: a soft boiled egg, scooped onto a slice of toast, and then doctored with salt, pepper, and LOTS of spicy mustard...

And I like egg salad too. You could make that the night before. Substitute low-fat mayo that you can "cut" with low-fat yogurt for the dressing.

I'm getting hungry.
Anonymous said…
I'm hungry too - for eggs! My husband fries an egg every morning and puts it between 2 pieces of toast, wraps it carefully and then eats it later in the morning. This is part of his morning ritual. Perhaps I should try it too, if it would help me lose a few pounds.
Sassy Sundry said…
I like to make omelets. Spinach, tomato, and feta; mushrooms, shallots, herbs, and goat cheese; olives, capers, some kind of veggie...

Maybe I'll make one.
Chocolate eggs! Of course...it must be Green & Blacks.

I say, enjoy the eggs when some variety hums to you. Of course, finding a variety of ways to fix meats is the same problem!

Saw this on TV once: an iceberg-- with the tip of it representing most dis-eases and the humongous base of the iceberg under water representing hyperinsulinism.
Anonymous said…
This is where we can assist
With meal ideas you might have missed.
Visit www.egglandsbest.com to see
That we have many recipes.
And remember please that when you chose
Egglands Best you cannot lose.
They have less fat that's saturated
"Best Tasting Egg" they have been rated.*
With lutein, iodine and Omega 3's
They're healthier and sure to please!

Rachel @ Eggland's Best
* Eggland's Best eggs have been rated "America's Best Tasting Egg" by the American Culinary Institute, 5 years in a row.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...