Skip to main content

Come As You Are In the Family Car


Lynn's Auto Theater is the second oldest continuously operating drive-in theater in the country, and it is just ten minutes from my house. It was built in 1937, and although it has gone through quite a bit of updating over the years, it's a piece of history and a local treasure. I have to confess, I have never been, but every time I drive by it, I remember my first experience seeing a movie in a drive-in theater.

I was just a kid, and my parents would not take me to theaters. Hollywood was nothing but trash, and nothing they ever produced was ever worth the money, or so they believed. In the 40s and 50s, my parents went to movies every week, when they could afford the tickets, and they loved movies. Hollywood stars were no less "trashy" than they were in the 60s and 70s, but they kept most of their adventures to themselves, and they didn't cuss on in public. You could blow up entire villages on screen or slaughter a field of native Americans, but you better not say "damn" in the process.

Despite their objections to what entertainment had become, my parents would allow me to go with the neighbors to see movies with a G rating. One summer night, Mrs. Knaver who lived down the street loaded her station wagon up with neighbor kids. We piled in, the back seats that faced backwards being prized, and we drove to the drive-in theater in Michigan City to see Herbie the Love Bug. I was so excited, I could hardly contain my jitters and giggles. I could only imagine what watching a movie from the car would be like. I wasn't sure where the sound would come from or if there would be mosquitoes or if I would be given popcorn and soda and what if I had to use the bathroom. Because the other kids had all been to the drive-in before, I pretended like it was no big deal, and I was an old pro at watching movies through a windshield.

We parked next to the audio box stand, and Mrs. Knaver hooked the speaker to the window. We got popcorn and ice cream and candy and soda from the concession stand, and we stretched out to watch Herbie. I had a secret crush on Dean Jones. I had a secret crush on just about everybody in movies.

It didn't take long until we discovered a second screen on the other side of the field. We couldn't hear what was going on up on the giant screen, but it clearly wasn't a G-rated movie. It was The Exorcist, the original green-vomit version with Linda Blair. I saw her head spin, and I saw flies overtake the priest. I saw a giant piece of furniture slide effortlessly across the room. And I was scared. I was scared, but I couldn't look away. So, this is what I'm not supposed to watch. This is what my parents didn't want me to see. They sent me off with the neighbors to watch a thinking car, and I watch a movie about demons and priests. Being Baptists, we thought they were both equally bad.

If I had kept face front to watch Herbie, I might not have remembered that first drive-in experience so clearly. It would have been just another night out with the neighbor kids. So, I'm glad I peeked through the back window instead of the front, and now that I have seen The Exorcist in full, I'm also glad I did not have the audio box in the car for the creepy thing when I was a little girl.

I will make an effort to visit Lynn's Auto Theater and be part of local history.

Comments

dive said…
I wish I could make out the movie posters in that photo, Robyn.
But what an awesome introduction to movies you had.
My oh, my; what a double bill!
Herbie racing around on one screen while Linda Blair projectile vomits on the other.
I'm going to have to get those two on DVD and watch them at the same time.
"How about that? The door's stuck. That's how it is with cars sometimes."
"The power of Christ compels you!"
Yikes!
We used to have several drive -in theatre's in the Boston area now there are none. I do remeber going when I was a kid in the family car. us kids would wear our pj's
then when i was a teen I took girl friends to the drive-in and well... we got the windows too steamy to see the movie. ;))

And that DAMN dive beat me again that bugger. :(
dive said…
Hee hee. You can't beat longitude, Rich.
Gina said…
That is so cool!

We now have a drive in here that has large, inflatable screens. We need to go check it out.
Maria said…
My parents only allowed us to go see John Wayne movies. Oh...and The Sound of Music because it had nuns in it and we were Catholic.

I still remember The Exorcist. My big sister, Patrice took me WITH MY MOTHER'S PERMISSION because she thought it would be a good lesson to me about what happens when you let the devil in.

I was utterly petrified and I still am. I can't even watch small glimpses of it on old reruns.
Alifan said…
Drive in Movies, well not in this part of the world!!!! we never had a car!!!

Hope you can check out my blog today Robyn.. went to a flower festival.. very pretty...
Miz Minka said…
"Herbie the Love Bug" was the first movie I saw in a drive-in theater! There was only one near my home town in northern Germany, but it didn't stay in business very long due to the perpetually rainy weather. The few times we went, it was always a family outing and quite the adventure. "Thanks for the memories," Robyn. :)

PS: Never did watch "The Exorcist." Too scary.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...