Skip to main content

Biker Chick

I'm hardly a biker chick, but I will likely be going on a bike ride this Sunday. My husband recently bought a BMW touring bike, and we have been invited to join a group who will spend the afternoon snaking around on country roads and looking for biker food and ice cream. I did this same thing two years ago when I was trying to learn how to ride my own bike--a Honda Silver Wing scooter. Before you smirk at the "scooter" part, look it up. It's a big bike, for me anyway. In honor of this little adventure, here is the story of that ride, lifted from a post I wrote about a year ago:

My friend SS had planned a ride for anyone even remotely connected to the high school--parents, grandparents, staff, the guy who works the lights in the auditorium--basically anyone who lives in Small Town, because in small towns, everyone can connect themselves to the high school if they try hard enough. I had been riding my Honda Silver Wing for about a year and had spent a solid week practicing leaning into the curves, and since I had two kids in the school, and since I pay property taxes, I joined up.

It was a very cold October Sunday morning--40 degrees with wind gusts up to 20 mph--so quite a few people backed out, including Husband. I arrived very late because I had to go to church, and then I had to race home and put on three layers of long underwear. The group of about 18 had already pulled out, and I passed them on the street, so I had to turn around, make them stop, and take my place in line. I was placed third from the front because that's where the beginners go. That way, you can keep an eye on them, and they can't kill anybody. My big entrance was a little embarrassing--my being on a cherry red scooter and everyone else being on rough and tumble Harleys or Yamahas--but I was determined. Sneer all you want but move over, I'm ridin'!

So, we rode two hours in the unbearable cold and wind, and my fingers were frozen solid into a handlebar shape. We finally stopped at a parking lot for a butt rest and hand warming rest--I followed my leaders, SS and my friend JW, as they parked. I had gotten a lecture earlier about how I needed to learn how to back in, so I decided to give it a try. What I didn't know is that you don't back in when the pavement has a incline, and as I was turning my front-heavy "bike" going at a crawl, I tipped. Honda Silver Wings weigh 487 pounds, which I knew, and which I knew I couldn't catch at the slight angle, so I thought in that split second that my only hope was to drop it and hop off. That would have been bad enough, but I didn't hop far enough, and the side caught the heel of my boot and threw me down with it. My head hit the pavement, and my ankle was caught under the seat.

I could not get up fast enough. I could not be invisible enough with the already skeptical "real bikers" looking at me and gasping. I couldn't tell if the joint gasp was out of concern or to mask a kind of corporate chuckle--like when you see someone fall in public, you hope they're OK but you're also privately amused.

Anyway, SS ran to my rescue, even though I didn't need rescuing, and helped me set the bike back up. I shook off the twinge in my ankle and made the biggest joke out of the whole thing. I probably laughed too loud and probably laughed for too long, but good God. With eighteen people in black leather and goggles and furrowed brows, what choice did I have but to be the clown.

I finished the ride with dignity, but there are still a few people in Small Town who giggle every time they remember that cold Sunday afternoon.

Comments

dive said…
Yikes! Bikes!
I've never been on one, Robyn. When I was a kid I was a passenger in a car which was overtaken by my friend Greg on his new bike. He waved at us and rode smack into an oncoming car, neatly severing his leg.
Icky.
Not that I'm trying to put you off or anything, but ride carefully.

And what's "biker food"? Is that like roadkill?
Sassy Sundry said…
I really want a Vespa.

You should visit Prudence in the Lakes Region. You'd fit right in!
Scout said…
roadkill--hee hee. No, Dive. Biker food is more like steak and potatuz. And barbecued chicken and ribs with slaw and baked beans.

Sassy, Vespas are very cool. My scooter was much much larger, though. I could more easily handle a Vespa.
Gina said…
Oh my, I'm glad you didn't get hurt!

I have to say that I am so not a bike person.
Get a real bike like a Harley. I used to ride but now I just ride my mountian bike or my touring bike depending on the mood (the kind you have to peddle).

Have fun Robyn and let your hair blow in the breeze as you feel the freedom that riding brings to the soul.
Fresh Hell said…
In spite of the cold and the assaults to your dignity, it sounds like a fantastic time.

I have a friend in Ithaca, NY who is a big scooter nut and he participates in the Cold Weather Challenge every year. The competition includes scooter riders from all of the "cold" states. The person who rides the farthest in the coldest conditions wins. Last winter's winner rode in -6.5 degrees. Brrr!!! Makes the October ride sound positively balmy!

I really want a Vespa, too.
and Robyn don't forget to get a pic of yourself wearing those biker chaps ;)
Scout said…
Gina, there is a certain stereotype that goes with having a bike, but so many people have them now that you don't just have to be Hell's Angel to ride.

Rich, since I don't ride without a helmet, I won't be able to feel the wind in my hair, plus my hair is about 1/2 inch long. And, I DON'T wear chaps.

Fresh Hell, "assault to your dignity." That's exactly what happened. I know people who ride all year long, but as much as I like winter, I don't want to be out on a bike in it.
Anonymous said…
Oh Robyn, you are so brave and that's a lovely story! I have a scooter with 4 wheels and 2 speeds: rabbit or turtle; top speed 5km/hr! It's great to ride around the property and has been so useful since my spinal fusion since I can't walk all that far. It was the most valuable thing I inherited from my father when I died. He used to use it to go a mile down the road to the pub on a Friday night; and to visit the dentist or hairdresser or pharmacy. It's a top of the range model too!

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...