Skip to main content

As Time Flies

This seems to be the year for "the last time" experience.

Because my youngest child is a senior, this is the last time I will be part of a tennis season--the last time I will help with a tennis banquet, drive a child to the courts, wash uniforms, sit nervously during a match, chat with other parents between the courts.

Because my youngest child is a senior, this is the last time I will be part of a marching band season and concert band, too--the last time I will attend a band picnic, volunteer at a band show, design the season's T-shirt, typeset the concert programs, attend concerts as a parent of someone on stage, pick up uniforms at the dry cleaners, shuttle a child to and from practices.

Because my youngest child is a senior, this is the last time I will drive someone to school in the morning and pick them up in the afternoon. This is the last time I will have a child in my house for the school year. This is the last time I will have to nag in the morning because a child has ignored her alarm clack. This is the last time I will wash a child's laundry on a regular basis.

For seven years, this band/tennis/high school schedule has dictated my life, but this is the last time, and I don't know how to live any other way. I have forgotten what it's like not to have a child in high school. When your kids are small, and you wonder at how much they need you, and someone with more parenting experience tells you they'll need you more when they are teenagers, you should believe them. It may seem impossible at the time, but it's true.

So, this is the last time, and I can't even think about how time flies without having to wipe away a few tears.

Comments

dive said…
Robyn, be glad for all of those times and make sure you really enjoy this one last time.
And then take a deep breath and launch into your new life; your new freedom.
It may be scary but it's all yours. Try out the line "and she lived happily ever after."
peahen said…
The passage of time has always scared me, and I think enjoying a routine and being worried about change are human traits.

Enjoy 'this last time' and think about the time you'll have to knit & practise horn!
Anonymous said…
I have a Senior this year and another 2 years from now. Honestly Robyn, I can't wait. I know, I say that now and will most likely be bawling my eyes out when Ethan is a Senior but I am tired! Just yesterday I left work early to attend his football game. First play he ran down and tackeled the guy who was returning the ball from the kick off. Yea well, we got home from the emergency room at 8pm last evening! But he did cause the guy to fumble and we did win the game!
Never say never Robyn. I would tend to doubt some of those "Last times" you mentioned.
Scout said…
Dive, I know you're right. It's hardly the end of life. It's just the end of an era.

Peahen, I do like knitting and playing my horn. More time for those things then.

Prudence, I know that tired feeling. Ever heard the phrase "I'm not tired. I'm tired of it"? That applies here sometimes.

Rich, I'll still do a lot of those things, I'm sure, but never again as the mother of a teenager.
Gina said…
Aww, that must be hard.

Over here, we are battling about Junior Kindergarten and having to go everyday and being told what to do instead of doing his own thing. Oy.
Anonymous said…
Robyn, I feel your pain...or should I say angst. I remember so well that feeling of the "lasts" with band/dance/Crimsonian staff/high school/youth group/CORE. Man, the senior year was the best ever, and I hated for it to be over...but now there's Cedarville, and oh what a wonderful place! #2 should consider it...!!!!!
PF

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...