Skip to main content

Another Pool Spider

Last year about this time, I showed you a picture of a nasty looking spider I found floating in my pool. It gave me the chills. Well, it has nothing on what I found this evening.

Take a look at this bastard, the black thing in the center with what appears to be an egg sack attached. I had the unpleasant job of emptying the filter basket of leaves, but it was so packed, I couldn't pull it up. There was no way I was going to reach in there and pull it out bare handed, so I went inside and grabbed the kitchen tongs. I pulled leaves out a few at a time, and flung them over on the side, and on one of the leaves was this spider, soaking wet but still living and still moving around in that unearthly way spiders move.

That's about all it took for me to walk away from the job. I threw in the chlorine sticks in the still-full basket, snapped the cover back on, and ran inside. I went back later to take this picture because if I told you I found a spider the size of barn, you wouldn't believe me. Here's proof.

Comments

Gina said…
Ewwww! But Halloween is coming, so how appropriate!
Miz Minka said…
Wow, that's a nasty looking spider, and I'm not even afraid of them. If any get into my apartment, I just "catch and release" them outside. Only black widows get squished.

Very brave of you to go back and take a picture of the beastie! The photo is a little blurry, you must have been shaking...
dive said…
Awwwww … That's so CUTE, Robyn!
I want to pick it up and cuddle it.
Alifan said…
September will bring lots of spiders here Robyn.. remember my monkey tree last year!!!!!with all the webs...

But that looks rather nasty....
Old Knudsen said…
unearthly way spiders move

Pah weemen! Then again I suppose Muslims are the human versions of spiders at the mo.
Maria said…
It's the way they move, isn't it? All skitter skattery. Freaks the hell out of me.
Anonymous said…
Nasty stuff indeed. I refuse outright to empty the pool filter basket anymore. Last time i did it I looked over and four foot away was the skin that a snake had shed just laying there.
We often get spiders around the pool and occasionally find a suicidal frog in teh basket.
Far too much of a yuck experience so now i let hubby do the basket work and i swim warily keeping an eye out for fashion concious snakes.
peahen said…
We don't get fat furry ones like that here - ours are spindly. I don't like them at all but I 'rescue' the spider when we have one in the office, because someone else will panic and stomp on it. Much as the big ones make me squirm, they're still living creatures.
Sassy Sundry said…
Good for you for rescuing the bastard. He is scary looking!
Maria said…
You went and indulged yourself in a new name!!! Good for you. Scout suits you. Maybe I will change mine to Cat Ballou after all.....

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...