Skip to main content

Another Concert in the Park

My orchestra is performing our annual pops concert in the park Sunday evening in honor of Labor Day. It is always fun and light and airy. While at rehearsal this morning, I sat on stage and liked feeling confident. It was a relief from that nagging feeling of inferiority that grips me on occasion. My years with the philharmonic have done more for my self-esteem and sense of accomplishment than any amount of therapy could have done.

Below is lifted from a post I wrote about year ago, just to demonstrate how far a person can go when they set out to achieve a goal.

I started playing horn when I was just 38, and later the next year I began taking lessons from a very good horn player who just happened to live in my town. We'll call him SS, when we aren't calling him Mr. Non-Observant.

After a few months of lessons, which I approached with great apprehension and nervousness, almost to the point of contracting irritable bowel syndrome, SS suggested that I play in the local philharmonic. Ha. I was such a novice, such a beginner I couldn't always remember the fingerings, depending on how wrecked I was at the time by nerves. But he thought it would be a good idea. He'd suggest it to the conductor for the next time there was an open spot.

The next day, a Saturday (I remember it very clearly because I was stripping wall paper in my daughter's room), SS called to say that they were giving a concert that evening, and their 3rd horn player canceled at the last minute--would I want to play? Would I want to show up cold and sight read at the rehearsal in the afternoon? Would I want to gouge out my eye ball with a spoon?

So, I went. I sight read, I faked what I couldn't play, and I soaked up every single second of sitting on that stage. SS said to show up that evening at 7ish wearing black on the bottom and white on the top. I went home, put on my new Eddie Bauer white sweater and my favorite black pants, and the family went with me back to the auditorium (we play at the high school--very cute--very small town).

I unpacked my horn in the art room that serves as a back stage for the orchestra, and as pulled out my music, surrounded by paper mache cartoon characters, I looked around to see that everyone was wearing black--NOT WHITE! Men in tuxes everywhere--women in various kinds of black dress--WHAT THE HELL! 15 minutes before the down beat, I ran through the lobby, hauled it up the stairs, bullied my way through the balcony, and found Husband. I grabbed his arm. "Run home--huff, huff--rummage through the closet, and find the jacket that goes with these bloody pants--huff, huff--I need them in less than 15 minutes--huff, huff."

The orchestra filed onto the stage in a very disorderly fashion, as orchestras do, snickering at my gleaming white sweater as they passed me as I plastered myself up against the school lockers, trying to become part of the school decor. Mr. Non-Observant was just a little sorry, just a little confused as to how he could have been mistaken. He knew he had to wear a tux, but he thought the women wore white. Mr. Non-Observant didn't really see why I shouldn't just go out on stage as is--who would notice? Who would notice the one person wearing white, the one person who was faking all the hard stuff? Who would notice the one person with both hands gripped around the neck of Mr. Non-Observant in open hostility?

Husband came through just in time. I ran into the art room, ripped off the sweater, threw on the jacket, and quietly in my big-heeled shoes walked out to my chair, just in time for the down beat.

My introduction to the philharmonic, and I haven't missed a chance to play since.

Comments

dive said…
I remember the black top story, Robyn; it's a classic!

And I'm so glad to hear you have your confidence back. Have a great concert.
Alifan said…
Have a good time Robyn, you will be great..
Gina said…
Oh man, that was a close one!
AMANDATRON said…
Wow! Beginning at 38.. Amazing..

I am only 18 and I'm afraid to take up new things. I have slowly been going on at guitar, but what other kid doesn't play that these days?

The difference that sets me apart from the rest though is that I can play any chord with my tiny little hands!

Good luck with your concert!
Maria said…
Have a wonderful concert! And...I was sweating bullets reading that post...
I remeber that post, so much difference a year makes. now that you're a seasoned horn player with the philharmonic you can hold your head proud.
Anonymous said…
Know the feeling and it sucks. Glad hubby came through with the black jacket. I'd have lost all my confidence if it had been me.
Anonymous said…
I have a friend whom I met at hydrotherapy - with three damaged vertebra, she lives with chronic pain - recently she joined a choir and said to me something similar - that it has done more for her confidence than therapy ever could. Great story Robyn - as one of my stepdaughters would say: "You Rock"!
Sassy Sundry said…
I hope it went well, Robyn!
peahen said…
Thank you for this, Robyn. I'd missed this first time round - I think I need to rummage in your archives. It's inspiring stuff, reminds me just how fantastic it feels to be on stage if you can get over the nerves. Good luck, and write about how it goes.
What a great beginning to a grand adventure, Robyn! You are an incredible inspiration. It would be awesome enough to take up a regular (I'd say 'normal', but Fr. C might take offense) instrument at 38, but a french horn...wow.

I agree with the "you rock!"

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...