Skip to main content

Kiss Me--I'm Italian.

Yes, I know that phrase should read Kiss Me--I'm Irish, but my town doesn't host an Irish festival. It hosts an Italian festival for a few days every August, and for those few days, everyone is Italian. We shut down the main street, roll in food wagons, hold a wine tasting event, judge locally-made spaghetti sauces, and listen to Italian polkas. We also set the stage for the Dominic Greco Band. Dominic was Italian, after all, as is our current director.

We performed our usual Italian festival repertoire--polkas, overtures, corny stuff. The highlight, as far as I can tell, was Nessun Dorma. You might think, Yikes, a big, loud, locker-room band playing something lovely that an orchestra should perform? But we pulled it off with a reasonable amount of dignity and a beautiful horn line, mainly because we had an amazing soloist, Barry Busse. Mr. Busse is a world-renowned tenor who has retired professionally and now teaches at a high school near here. It wonders you why someone of his abilities would settle in a country school with just a few hundred students, but I'm glad he did.

He sang at such a level of quality and beauty that we were pulled along with him, rising to the occasion and playing better for his inspiration. Even during rehearsal, the final note would leave us all slightly weepy. Or maybe that was just me.

There was one embarrassing moment during the concert when the announcer decided to adlib and announce the designer of the band's logo which had been emblazoned on the bass drum. He forgot himself and thought the thing had been designed by a woman seated in the front row of of the audience. I was following his rambling and waiting to hear my name (as I am the designer), and was confused as to why he was pointing in the wrong direction. Fortunately, our director caught him in time and whispered to him that I was the one he should mention. And fortunately, I didn't stand up waiting for the applause--can you imagine how awkward that would have been?

Anyway, another Italian festival under our polka-dancing belts, and just one concert to go for the season. I will miss my band, waiting for rehearsals to resume next May.

Comments

Maria said…
We have the Santa Lucia festival here in Omaha every June. They actually start the parade with a profession led with a withered hand on a white silk pillow. It is then whisked away, probably to the next Santa Lucia festival.

I used to take Liv every year but once she was old enough to see that hand, she totally nixxed ever going again....
dive said…
Eww, Maria!

Your festival sounds a lot of fun, Robyn. And who doesn't love Nessun Dorma? I'm glad you had a singer good enough to do it justice.
Gina said…
Sounds like a whole lotta fun!

And I love singing, but am not so gifted that I make people cry with the beauty of it. Not many are blessed with that.
ANTHONY!!!!

I used to go to the very Famous St. Anthony's feast here in Boston every August. It' such a festive time but beware of that home made vino, it will bring you to your knees fast. ;))
Oh do they carry in a statue of the Madonna where people can attach money to here and pray?
Scout said…
Maria, your festival sounds a bit more spiritual, where ours has a big beer garden.

Dive, we have a couple of very accomplished singers here, but the other is a baritone.

Gina, I like to sing, too, to myself.

Rich, there is no statue of the Madonna, but they did have a traditional march to the local Catholic church Sunday morning, followed by a special mass. Then, back to the beer garden.
dive said…
I like the sound of a festival with a beer garden, Robyn.
And you have a beautiful singing voice.
I know (as do Rich and Sassy and the rest of your "old" gang).
Then the guys with the dark suits and dark hair come by and put one foot up on the fender of the car and chew on a toothpick and talk about the old days.
Anonymous said…
Yes you will miss it but you have a world of beautiful music to keep you inspired till it all comes together again.
Unknown said…
ROBYN!!!!!

Are you SERIOUS???

A HORNDOG LINE????

That's a NEW one on MEEEEE!

And I'm sorry...I got TOTALLY distracted when I got to THAT detail!

Now I have to go back and read properly!!!

LOL!

We're of a VERY ELITE group now ya know!!!

PDBers!

Post Divey-Boy-ers!!!

=)))))))
XO
Ame said…
OOPS!

You knew that was me right?

;)))xo
dive said…
Old Dive only has the very best folk come to visit, Ame.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...