Skip to main content

A Yankee Going to London


Yankee Doodle went to London
just to ride the ponies.
Stuck a feather in his cap
and called it macaroni.

That seems such an odd song, doesn't it? Even with James Cagney singing it while twirling his cane and high-stepping across the stage. The song wasn't originally patriotic. It was actually sung to mock the ragtag mob of pre-revolutionary colonial soldiers who fought with the British in the French and Indian War. "Doodle" was a term for idiots, and "macaroni" was a term for a dandy young man of fashion. When the poor slobs stuck feathers in their hats, they thought were really something, but the British thought they were really something to be ridiculed. It wasn't until the Revolution that colonials turned it around to be something they could sing with honor, something they could use to thumb their nose up at the Red Coats. A raspberry, so to speak.

I won't be singing this song while visiting London. Or Paris. We'll leave Wednesday morning and fly to Paris. We'll spend a few days there visiting Daughter No. 1, roaming the city and pretending to be Canadian. Both Daughters 1 and 2 will help us out with the language.

On Monday, we'll take the Chunnel to London where we will stay for the entire week. We'll be leisurely about our walking pace and eating pace and our tourism pace. We'll see plays and drink wine and look at paintings and maybe even eat a little bubble and squeak. We'll meet Dive and Mum, and we'll take pictures as proof.

I'll see you all in a couple of weeks.

I'm a yankee doodle dandy.
Yankee doodle do or die.
A real life nephew of my Uncle Sam
Born on the 4th of July.
I've got a yankee doodle sweet heart.
She's my yankee doodle joy.
Yankee doodle went to London,
just to ride the ponies.
I am that yankee doodle boy.

Comments

dive said…
Woohoo! I can't wait!
See you in Westminster on Wednesday.

Now I've got that song stuck in my head. Rats!
Dive -how do you get the ladies to come and visit you? What do have that I don't- huh???

You DOG you!!

Bye Robyn - I will miss you so much while you are having fun traveling around Europe don't forget the finsh line of Le Tour De France I'll be there all sweaty from riding to give you a big hug and a kiss.
dive said…
Rich: never underestimate the power of pity.
Gina said…
Very cool! I hope you have a wonderful and safe journey.

I didn't know the exact origins of that song, thanks for the info!
Anonymous said…
Bye Robyn and family! Have a wonderful time and give ol' Dive a hug from me!
Alifan said…
Robyn... so looking forward to next Wednesday.... Mum xxx
Old Knudsen said…
Dive has become one of the shites er I mean sites of London.
Anonymous said…
I always wondered what the hell they were on about with the macaroni line. Thanks for clearing that up.
Maria said…
That kind of reminds me of something Liv's father told me once. That Native Americans wore parts of the American flag and many Americans felt that they were being patriotic. They were actually using it as a way of symbolically taking the power away from the white man.
Sassy Sundry said…
Have a wonderful time! Take lots of pictures!
I'm so pleased, Robyn. Welcome to London. Enjoy it, your description sounds just perfect. Can't wait to see the pics.
dive said…
As I write this you've just taken off from Cleveland.
Have a safe trip.
See you next Wednesday in Westminster.
Anonymous said…
Safe journey, Robyn.

If you get the chance, do try to get tickets to the Globe and see some wonderful Shakespeare as it was intended.

It was the highlight of my most recent trip.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...