Skip to main content

Vacation Part 3--London

While meeting up with Dive and Mum was a big highlight of the London leg of our trip, we did do other things.

We stayed at a Marriott in the Mayfair district. Mayfair is a snooty part of the city where the aristocracy used to hang out back in the day, as did Handel when he was working for the king or queen or whoever. It was a lovely place to stroll--oops, I mean amble. I have to say, though, the chocolates lefts behind by the maid service every evening were not nearly as good as those left behind at the Hilton in Paris, but any chocolate is welcome. Our room was actually an apartment with a small kitchen, so one of our first stops was a small grocery store for bread and butter and milk and cereal and coffee. It was nice to relax with breakfast and eat at our own pace. Because I am an early riser, and everyone else in the family sleeps late (and I mean LATE), I had a quiet breakfast every morning and knitted practically an entire sweater. The TV was often on very quietly--are you aware that the UK has dart throwing championships?

As we did in Paris, while in London we hit the usual tourist locations. We toured the Tower of London, which is essential because it includes some important British history as told by a Yeoman with a sense of humor. I won't go into detail about the entire place, but one of the my fondest memories of that spot is a visit to the prison. There is a cell up a set of narrow winding stairs where prisoners carved elaborate statements and significant symbols. In some cases, they actually hired stone carvers to help them leave their marks. Here is one.


Afterwards, we stood by the Thames and admired the Tower Bridge. Just below us was a giant seagull munching on a drowned rat. It was such a captivating sight, so disgusting we could not look away.


That evening we had a quick dinner and saw Les Miserables. Lovely and powerful and a fond memory.

The next day was our visit to the Abbey, of course, and our meeting with Dive and Mum. Later that night we saw Mousetrap, a London institution. It's a performance of Agatha Christie's mystery novel--pretty typical and somewhat predictable but very fun.

Because the forecast called for rain on Thursday, we chose that day to tour the British Museum. I had been there before, twice I think, but it's always fascinating and always full of something you missed the first time around. I can't name a favorite sight in the museum because it really is quite large and full of magnificent things to see. Fond memory: in the Asian wing, there is a room at the very end sectioned off with glass walls. Inside is a display of element of an Indian temple. Because it is in it's own glass room, it is very quiet, and in the corner sits a girl who shushes those who forget they are gazing at sacred stone.

That night, after dinner, we saw a performance of Gaslight, taken from the old Ingrid Bergman movie. It was a small production in a small theater, but it was delightful, and with seats near the stage, we were able to connect with the performance. I was mainly interested in the final speech delivered by the heroine/victim character, concerned it might be altered. I was not disappointed when it was delivered flawlessly.

On Friday, the weather was lovely, and we took that day to amble. And boy, did we amble. We ambled all the way from Mayfair down to Trafalgar Square and back. We had a simple lunch. We stopped by the National Gallery. We stood among the pigeons and their filthy feet. And we hunted for a quaint chocolate shop, a mission No. 2 adopted as if it meant the world. We finally found one.

Saturday was a lovely, so we took a taxi up to Madam Tussuad's. The place was mobbed, and the line was down the street, so we changed plans and had lunch at a pub down the block. It was our only pub, and it was our only serving of fish and chips. Don't you have to order that once? Oddly, our server was a college kid from Chicago who is studying at a school in Ohio, about 4 hours from our home. His family was spending the summer in London, he thought it would be cool to work in a pub.

Afterwards, we ambled over to Regent's Park, where I had never been. I knew it from One Hundred One Dalmatians, though--and yes, we actually saw one there. While ambling through the many gardens and cafes on our way to the zoo, we discovered the open air theater, and we were just in time for a performance of Midsummer Night's Dream. It was a lot of fun, and since I never did make it over to see The Globe, I did at least get to see a Shakespeare play.

So, that's London. There is so much to see and do, and I could never begin to tell you all about it in a single post. I'll spit out stories here and there over time, I suppose.

Comments

dive said…
I remember you telling me about the seagull and the rat. Wow! You came four thousand miles to see that.
And you were lucky to miss Tussauds; it's rubbish. The drowned rat is much more entertaining.
And you'll have to come back again to go to the Globe. It's wonderful.
As for your Chicago barman; there are no English bar staff in London. They are ninety percent Aussie or Kiwi with Americans and Germans thrown in.

And Daughter No.2 is right. Chocolate really is that important!
Gina said…
The picture kind of made me go ew, but you are right, it is sort of fascinating!
It's a must to see Les Mis while visiting London -glad you enjoyed it. Now I want to look up my Les Mis CD and pop into the player for my drive home from work.
Maria said…
Dart championships? Were there cheerleaders. ("Go, boy, go...throw that dart. Go, boy, go, pierce my heart!)

It sounds like you had a great time. And Les Miserables...ahhhhhh.
Oh yes please do. I've now had time to read your post whereas before i could only look at the pics. Fascinating, Robyn.
So glad you saw Mousetrap; it's a must. The rat i could not have watched; your stomach is stronger than mine. The darts? Yes i believe we have it though i've never watched it.
Sorry the choc wasn't up to scratch - in Mayfair i am surprised! You certainly stayed at a good place and having your own mini kitchen must have been so useful; i like that independence too but have never seen this sort of thing in a hotel before.
My son sleeps LATE too and i quite enjoy those mornings, i understand completely; i don't knit but so much can be achieved! I'm not too early a riser since i'm a real night owl the night before! I envy your trip to London - i haven't been for a good few years now - i could visualise where you were at every turnaround.
I am curious to know - apart from the darts, what else did you find strange about we British? Don't worry about offending; it's all just interesting. Do tell!
Anonymous said…
Shakespeare in London, how much better can it get?

The Globe really is wonderful (especially if you're on the floor and get a little rain), but sounds like you found something to tide you over 'til the next visit.

Dive, on our first visit (our honeymoon in '05), we ate several times around the corner from our hotel in Kensington at a little Italian restaurant, with a Polish girl serving. We kept chuckling that a pair of Yanks flew thousands of miles to London to eat in an Italian restaurant with Polish staff.

Tussaud's - I think the kids enjoyed it (our second visit, last year), but not really worth the wait or the money, IMHO.

Glad you're home safe, and that you really enjoyed your trip.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...