Skip to main content

Why You Shouldn't Listen to Adagios

It's never a good idea to listen to adagios, I mean just adagios without the buffeting effect of the surrounding andantes and allegros. I know that, but I still bought a CD of just adagios, and I occasionally listen to it and wish I didn't. I know people think they are supposed to be comforting, but just by themselves, it's never a good idea.

In the first place, adagios are meant to be heard with the entire composition. It's like pulling the bridges out of your favorite pop tunes and listening to them one right after the other without the rest of the songs. It's like just eating an Oreo cookie without the filling. In the second place, when played one after another, they are simply depressing. They don't comfort. They oppress. They deplete the spirit, and without the uplifting benefit of their surrounding parts, you've got no place to go but flat on the floor. You're just asking for the fetal position, and you're destined to eat Kraft macaroni and cheese straight from the pan while standing over the stove with a big wooden spoon. Oh, sigh.

Here's an example. When I was in college, I enrolled in summer school to avoid having to go home to what I felt was an oppressive house. I preferred the classroom. Because the women's dorm was being painted that summer, the students were moved to another dorm building that had once been a nursing home. I am pretty sure my room was possessed by the spirit of a patient who died in that elevated bed while staring blankly at a cup of ice chips sitting on the little table that went up and down with a hand crank.

I settled in for the summer, and my room mate and I set up a record player stacked with our small collection. We had just bought an album called The Greatest Hits of 1720. I'm not kidding. There really is such an album, and it's filled with things like Pachelbel's Canon and Bach minuets. There are also a few adagios taken out of context--on side B is Albinoni's Adagio for Violin, Strings, and Organ. Oh, dear God. I don't know what possessed me, other than the spirit of the depressed nursing home patient, but it wasn't uncommon for me to pick the needle up from the album at the end of the piece and set down at the beginning of the thing over and over again.

Finally, my roommate and I went to the drug store on the corner and bought a pocket knife and a family-sized pack of giant Ivory soap bars. We sat at our elevated tables, listening to those blasted spirit dredging adagios, and carved little animals and objects out of soap. We lined the window sill with our menagerie, and we slipped into a state of mental and emotional oblivion. The only effective antidote was to skip class and spend our days at the beach on Oak Street, sipping Slurpies from the 7/11 and smoking clove cigarettes. So much for summer school. I would have been better off at home with the bright orange flowered sofas and the used toothpicks on the end tables.

So, adagios, out of context, are bad. The next time you find a CD that makes you think they're good, remember the soap bears and foxes and kittens and buy the entire symphony instead.

Comments

dive said…
Yikes!
Albinoni's adagio … You are so right, Robyn.
And also beware listening to 2CDs of Bach's cello concertos on a rainy Sunday afternoon.
Perky they ain't.
every time i hear Leonard Slatkin'd adagio for strings it puts me in a very somber place. I try not to listen anymore. Maybe it's the ossociation with the movie Platoon and the scene of the soldiers caskets being loaded onto the plane from Danang Vietnam.

Get out... out of my head you adagio you!!!
Dive I still can't believe you're looking foward to crocking at 60. If you do I hope it's with a smile on your face while listening to an adagio.
Gina said…
There is a time and place for depressing music, and as long as the music is used judiciously, it's ok.

Your college self, unjudicious! ;)
clove cigarettes? I remember those from the 70's
Sassy Sundry said…
I'm so glad you mentioned some vices there. The idea that you sat around carving soap animals while listening to the greatest hits of 1720 was just too disturbing.
Scout said…
Dive, cello concertos on a rainy afternoon certainly aren't perky. Might as well wear a shroud.

Rich, there's listening to it, and then there's listening to it for an extended period of time. Yikes.

Gina, judicious is wasn't.

Sassy, disturbing! See what I mean? there were a few vices in those days. Clove cigarettes make you vomit blood, though.
dive said…
Rich: I'm gonna go out to the Banana Splits Song. Or maybe REM's "It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine".
hee hee
Daniel Martins said…
I love Barber's Adagio for Strings. In fact, I have a CD of nothing BUT Barber's Adagio for Strings--once for strings (duh), but also for organ, choir, brass, clarinets (I could be making this one up--don't know for sure) and God only knows what else. It is a bit much--an then some.
Scout said…
Barber's Adagio for Strings really is a classic in the world of adagios. I heard it performed by the Akron symphony during their gospel concert (a gift for the orchestra so they would actually enjoy playing the concert).

I can't imagine listening to it over and over again. I would have a table full of soap animals after playing that CD.
I just happen to have that CD Conducted by Leonard Slatkin. I think that's what I was trying to say earlier.

Pay no attention to that man behind the...

Dive Good choice of music to out with. I think I would Choose Mannheim Steamroller's Christmas selections. I get what I deserve :))

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...