Skip to main content

Be Careful What You Eat

Dive's mouth-watering, chocolate-covered post reminds me of a cocoa-related cautionary tale of my own:

When I was a kid, my parents went out once--I say "once" because I hardly ever remember their going out in the evening. On this rare occasion, they left me at home with my older sister. My older sister was quite the movie hound, as much as I was, and she settled in to watch something that didn't interest me. I set out to find chocolate.

There was a pull-out bread drawer in our kitchen that, along with bread, had treats my father used to pack his man-sized lunch for work every day. He kept things like Mars bars and Twinkies in this drawer, and while these things were not off limits to the rest of us, you wouldn't want to be the one to eat them and then have him find an empty drawer at lunch-making time. Besides being meant for his big, black, metal lunch box, these things were also a sign of prosperity. They were luxuries, and even when my father was laid off from work, which inevitably happened every winter, he would still make sure we had Twinkies and Mars bars. Life was good if those things were in the drawer.

So...while I hunted for chocolate, I knew to avoid the bread drawer and to look elsewhere. I scavenged through all the kitchen cabinets until I found a bar tucked away at the very top of the shelf in the cabinet that held the Jack Daniels whiskey--hidden there by my father for medicinal purposes. Seriously. He used it to make hot toddies when we were congested. I carefully unwrapped the chocolate bar and took just a portion, afraid that if I ate the whole thing, I would be accused of being self-indulgent, which a good Christian Midwestern girl never is.

I took a piece into the family room for my sister, and we watched the movie together.

When my parents returned, they asked what we did to amuse ourselves, and my sister told them about the chocolate I had found. My mother, curious because she wasn't aware we had any chocolate besides what was in the bread drawer, asked where I had found it. I climbed back onto the kitchen counter and produced the rest of the bar. Exlax. What did I know?

My mother was disturbed and made us drink water mixed with baking soda, hoping we would vomit before we emitted from the other end. My sister was so disgusted with me, but I swear to you, I had no idea.

I don't recall exactly, but I think we puked, in case you were wondering.

Comments

dive said…
Hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee
Anonymous said…
Exlax browines can do a number on a foe!
Sassy Sundry said…
Oh, Robyn. You poor, poor dear girl.

Ick.
Miz Minka said…
Oh, no, how awful!!! And totally funny, hee hee he... As one who used to snoop for treat treasures while my parents were gone, I can totally relate to the thrill of hunting for chocolate. :) No Exlax that looks like chocolate in Germany though, lucky me.
Gina said…
Oh my! I used to look for stuff all the time, my mom is a total food hoarder.
why do they make Exlax taste so darn good anyway?

before you know it you've consumed a whole package and then you start to hear the rumble in your stomach.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...