Skip to main content

Monday Melee

I keep forgetting there even is a Monday Melee because I find I usually have other things to say. But today, I've got nothing.

1: The Misanthropic.
(Name something - about humanity - you absolutely hate).
I usually complain about the strength of the word "hate," so I'll say I dislike arrogant drivers--the ones who ride your bumper when you're going 15 miles over the speed limit in the passing lane. Back off!

2: The Meretricious:
(Expose someone or something that's phony, fraudulent or bogus).
I usually complain about this question, too, because I hesitate to accuse someone else of being a fraud. How do I know if they're a fraud or not? So, I'll point to someTHING that I think is fraudulent--clothing sizes. Why can't there be a standard for women's clothing sizes? SML doesn't seem to mean much anymore, and it's any body's guess. I would like to be able to walk into a store, read the stupid tag, and know immediately if the damn shirt will fit or not.

3: The Malcontent:
(Name something you're unhappy with).
I did a little shopping yesterday, so I'm still unhappy with the lack of uniform sizing for women. I propose we move to measurement sizing or at least institute a uniform practice for all manufacturers.

4: The Meritorious.
(Give someone credit for something and name it if you can).
Daughter no 2 made my breakfast yesterday morning, and Daughter no 1 sent me a very cute card for Mother's Day.

5: The Mirror.
(See something good about yourself and name it).
I don't know--my very short hair style is apparently cute. I keep getting compliments from random strangers.

6: The Make-Believe:
(Name something you wish for).
I wish I had more private time to practice my horn--it's feeling neglected. I can tell just by looking at the way it sits in the corner with its elbows on its knees and its chin resting dejectedly in its hands.

Comments

dive said…
Hee hee, Robyn. There IS a universal standard for womens' clothing sizes. It's called "smaller than you expect it to be; how the hell am I supposed to fit in THAT?".
And I think you should grow your hair; you're too cute with it short.
Yes Robyn especially Marks & Spencer's which display a size 14 blouse but is designed so it won't fasten over the bust! Everything else fits, just that area is always useless.

Compliments from random strangers is always good! - well, suppose what they're like really... dodgy isn't good!
peahen said…
I'm with you on the clothes sizes. From different shops, a 10, 12 or 14 can be wildly different. The only thing that gives me comfort is that anything from my favourite shop - M&Co - is consistent enough for me to be ablet to buy by mail. Lynne - Sounds like M&S design for me - I've no sympathy for someone with a much more decent bust than my flatties!!
I'm getting the same look from my trumpet Robyn - have been for a while.

Since all the clothes we buy now come from so many parts of the world the sizes vary so much. When clothes were made in the USA I think it was more standard. At least for Ameicans.
Peahen well it's not as great as it sounds, I sometimes have to buy a huge size number (and really, i haven't got MASSIVE breasts or anything; it's quite ridiculous) just to get it done up. Then the sleeves are flapping over the wrists, cropped tops are suddenly hip length..... it's ... not good. LOL. Bras look nice though ... ;) lol well, i've got to uplift myself somehow after all that!
Gina said…
I'm with you on the clothing sizes, and yay for cute hair!
Anonymous said…
I gotta agree with Lynn. Theres nothing worse than finding a shirt that fits everywhere and looks great but won't do up.
I have the same problem and tried to resolve it by saying I haven't been fitted for a bra in so long maybe i am bigger than what i think. (bra fitting is still a scary traumatic excercise) and so off i went to the old lady with the tape measure. After the verdict i sat in the fitting room and cried realsing that I'm never going to find a shirt that fits anywhere ever again. hello floppy sleeves and toones of un-needed waist room.
Anonymous said…
I'm just a random stranger (lately, anyway) passing by to compliment your hair.

Kisses!

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...