Skip to main content

What Do You Bring to the Table?

I could easily do my job at home, like a lot of us. Unless you work in the health care business, law enforcement, or you're a lineman for the electric company, you could probably find a good portion of your work load that could be accomplished from a desk in the corner of your dining room.

But here I am at work, in an office, with other people, and no cats. There must be something I can bring to the table while I'm here. A few days ago, I decided that what I can contribute to the greater group of office workers is a coloring contest. I had a cohort in the editorial department--she provided a very silly coloring page, and I provided the crayons. We mumbled to various people in graphics, editorial, and marketing and asked if they wanted to participate in a coloring contest. I expected a few people to have fun with it, which is why I only bought five small boxes of Crayolas. By the time we were finished, I bet 20 people had colored their page. It's at the end of this post in case you want to color, too.

We were all given a copy of the same page and no rules, just crayons. On Friday afternoon, the entire marketing department sat at a table and colored, just like in kindergarten. One of the accountant types even emailed to ask if he could play, too. Men and women alike turned in their artwork, and yesterday morning, we taped them all to a glass wall at our end of the building. We chose the winner, who turned the picture and caption on its ear and made it entirely different--she won a mini-sketching kit with a sketch pad, drawing pencils, and an eraser. Then everyone was invited to match the pages with the participants--the winner of the matching portion of the contest won a Pez dispenser. Every participant was given some kind of distinctive paper ribbon award for distinctions like brighest hair, scariest, prettiest eye color, and best Aryan girl. That one went to a guy with two bi-racial children, ironically. One guy colored the girl bright blue, gave her a unibrow, and modified the caption.

So, I bring a few minutes of fun and as much work disturbance as I can stir up. What do you bring to the table?

Comments

dive said…
Thank you, Robyn.
The colouring competition sounds really cool, and a great office morale booster. I'd try it here, but Architects are notoriously grumpy and we honestly don't know which end of a pencil is which.

That picture is so scary! It's almost as spooky as the New Happy Knudsen.
And the prize for the "Best Aryan Girl" makes me REALLY glad your office staff are four thousand miles away!

And you mentioned linemen, which means I'll now be stuck singing Witchita Lineman all day …
"And I need you more than want you,
And I want you for all time …"
Join in … You know you want to … hee hee.
dive said…
And in answer to your question, I bring joy to my office. Believe it or not I am the least grumpy curmudgeon in the room.
Scout said…
Dive, you don't color with a pencil. You color with a crayon. Maybe that's why everyone is so grumpy--you just need crayons.

And I WILL NOT sing Glenn Campbell tunes.
dive said…
"She was twenty-one, when I left Galveston …"
Yikes!

Another one for our transatlantic dictionary, Robyn.
Over here, they are coloured pencils; crayons are the waxy things they give to little kids who then try to eat them.
Is that Cindy from the Brady Bunch?
Here ya go Dive:

am a lineman for the county
And i drive the main road
Searchin' in the sun
For another overload
I hear you singin' in the wires
I can hear you through the whine
And the wichita lineman
Is still on the line.
dive said…
Woohoo! Let's serenade Robyn, Rich:

"I know I need a small vacation.
But it don't look like rain.
And if it snows that stretch down south,
won't ever stand the strain.

And I need you more than want you.
And I want you for all time.
And the Wichita Lineman,
is still on the line."
Sassy Sundry said…
I like to color, but I wouldn't color that picture. It scares me too.

To my office, I bring distraction. I'm chatty.
Gina said…
Ha! That would have been fun! I would so have done that.

When I did work, I liked to think that I brought a certain amount of calmness. I'm not a panicky person in a crisis. People could come to me and discuss problems (work related and not) and come away hopefully feeling better.
Scout said…
Dive and Rich, very nice. Thanks for the song (smirk)

Sassy, we used to have what we called "chat patrol" here so that if you were chatting and were about to be caught, you could hurry and get back to work.

Gina, do you find that you bring that same calmness to the group at home?
Sassy Sundry said…
The consensus on that picture: God gave us middle fingers to express our feelings.

Sorry. I'm cranky today.
Anonymous said…
Robin, that is so cool of you to have a coloring contest. What a stress reliever! Fr Dan past out a black and white picture of an artist's interpretation of the Book of Revelation when Fr. was teaching a class....and that was the first thing I did, was color it....he thought I was nuts.

Thats been several years ago now...he has gotten used to my coloring whims now!
i joined in Dive! I like to sing that song.

I'd have loved the colouring-in practise. I never liked staying within the confines of someone else's lines though; i always wanted to draw my own design to colour-in. Yes crayons are waxy. Coloured pencils are - coloured pencils in the UK.

I'm not sure how this would have been received generally in offices over here. My suspicion is that they'd have looked at you like you were mad (i wouldn't), asked you how this was going to earn the company money, then told you not to waste time.
I DO work from home though. I'm very competitive I'm sure i would always win.
Anonymous said…
What an awesome idea Robyn.
A colouring comp in the place where i used to work would probably have cut down on the burn out factor.
Currently I'm working in alternative education for kids who are close to being expelled.
Once they finish their school work for the day they get to do clowning classes, we're teaching them face painting and balloon twisting and stuff.
Just a small incentive for getting on with their work. Works wonders.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...