Skip to main content

The Trip

I have been debating with myself about how to tell my trip story--a day-by-day breakdown with details of our itinerary, word-for-word conversations, photos of every single activity--all of this might be too much information. So I have decided to be concise.

It was very nice.

No, just kidding. It was a great trip, and I am so glad I decided to participate. Here is a little more detail which I hope will not be too much:

The Bus Ride:
I got two seats to myself, so I was able to spread out and do my best to get some sleep--thank God I brought along a travel-sized pillow. Here is a picture of the seat beside me filled with all of the things I used to pass the time.

There is a mildly IQ-depleted member of the band, a very sweet girl who lacks malice but does not lack quirks. She was seated in front of me--there was no lack of extreme body odor, nose picking followed by finger licking, and sudden bursts of vocal enthusiasm from that seat. But overall, the kids on the bus were enjoyable--not too smelly and not too loud.

The Hotel:
We stayed at Disney's All-Star Music hotel, a budget hotel on Disney property, which is great because you can use Disney transportation to get just about any place you need to go--they have a well-developed system of buses, trains, and ferries for free (of course, nothing is free, but it's all built in to the cost, at least). I roomed with a dear friend who is one of the band directors and one of the other staff members who quickly became a good friend. Every night, after a long and exhausting day, we behaved as though we were in college with giggling and talking--lots of talking. If we were awake, we talked--it didn't matter the subject. We covered them all. We talked and giggled so much, we were occasionally late to the buses for morning activities, making all the kids and the other parents wait with their feet stomping impatiently. hee hee

The Band:
The band attended a clinic conducted by a Disney trumpet player who recently played a gig with Arturo Sandoval. The kids loved him and did their best to raise their performance level when he was around. On Monday evening, they marched in the parade at Magic Kingdom as the featured band--on Main Street, they marched to a designated spot, turned toward the audience, and played their hearts out with the guest trumpet player--they performed Sing, Sing, Sing--people actually cried. I know bands from all over the country perform at the park every day, but I was proud to see my own daughter play in such a setting with such talent. I was standing directly in front of the percussion and the guest. Here is what I saw:

Also, the kids were very well behaved. Every where we went, people would compliment us on their behavior. At least three times, a stranger approached me and asked, "Are these high school kids? They are so well behaved." There was one evening when they went a little crazy and caused hotel security to come to the rescue, but overall, they were good kids.

Highlights:
--We spent a few hours lazing around Cocoa Beach with a cookout and plenty of sun and breeze.
--We were treated to delightful breakfast buffets at places like The Rain Forest Cafe, Animal Kingdom, Hard Rock Cafe--always a great way to start the day
--We had dinner at Dollie Parton's Dixie Stampede restaurant. Very odd. I took it with a grain of salt, but the kids seemed to really enjoy it, except for the few who were allergic to horses (Daughter #2 counted as one of those). We were not to use utensils but were expected to eat a Cornish hen with our hands.
--One morning, we woke the kids early and hauled them to Animal Kingdom for a 7:30 AM exclusive ride on a new roller coaster. They grumbled all the way, but afterwards, they were wide awake and happy. It was fun to watch them.
--I spent every day with some of my best friends, and we had a ball. Lots of silly talk and some good meals. I also made some new friends among the parents.
--We treated the kids to a private disco party with a very good DJ and all the Disney characters. The characters were the perfect touch--they got the kids to act like kids instead of wanna-be-grownups--and they danced with them for hours. Shocking--one of my "pals" convinced me to hop on the dance floor for My Girl, and I found myself dancing with Dale the Chipmunk, or was it Chip. I don't know how to dance, so I embarrassed myself and had fun doing it. Here is evidence (my shirt is very unflattering, but what are you gonna do):

Comments

dive said…
Woohoo!
That looks so much fun!
It sounds like you had a great week, Robyn.
By the way, I love the term "mildly IQ depleted" … Hee hee.
sing sing sing was one arrangement I played most often when I marched.

Who that's sktchy looking furry thing you're dancing with robyn? I hope he kept his paws to himself.

Thanks for sharing that's awesome
Isn't it awful when you're forced to dance and you really don't want to? You, however, look like you got right into it and grabbed onto a furry friend into the bargain. Always fun. Glad you had a good time Robyn, i can heave my pessimistic sigh of relief now. lol.
Anonymous said…
Yea Robyn! You survived! I also always end up next to or sitting with the Mildly Depleted. We are Gemini and I think the universe understands that we will deal! Glad you had a good time and brought back good memories of the time you spent with your daughter.
Thoroughly enjoyed the travelogue. You really know how to tell the story, Robyn!!

All in all...a huge success of a trip, on all fronts, I'd say...with the requisite amount of giggling being at the top of the list, perhaps!

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...