Skip to main content

Stuck on Show Tunes

All this time spent with Sirius radio and the Broadway channel has got me stuck on show tunes. I can't get them out of my head.

I am a Readers' Digest baby--I grew up in a house filled with Readers' Digest books, the condensed ones my mother read from cover to faux-leather-bound cover. We received a shipment every month. It was through this book club that my mother ordered a song book full of all the great show tunes from Broadway and from the movies. We kept it open at the piano, so it was always available to me when I wanted to sit down and plunk out a few tunes.

I discovered George and Ira Gershwin:

There's a somebody I'm longing to see...I hope that he turns out to be ...Someone who'll watch over me

I fell in love with the tunes of Show Boat (hooray for Kern and Hammerstein--oh, and the gorgeous Howard Keel) :

Fish gotta swim, birds gotta fly...I gotta love one man 'til I die...So I can't help lovin' that man of mine.

I played Cole Porter:

Time marches on and soon it's plain...You've won my heart and I've lost my brain...It's delightful, it's delicious, it's de-lovely.

There was Body and Soul, Smoke Gets In Your Eyes, S'Wonderful, Blue Skies, Begin the Beguine, Stardust, and one of my favorites:

You're the cream in my coffee...you're the salt in my stew...you will always be my necessity...I'd be lost without you.

Ah, now that I have discovered show tunes on the radio, it's all coming back to me--how I spent hours as a kid playing through that old book, dog-earring the pages with my favorite tunes and mooning over the lyrics and the schmaltzy arrangements. Other kids were out at parties and making out with boys, but I sat happily on the piano bench and pretended to be accompanying Fred Astaire--Someday when I'm feeling low, and the world is cold, I will feel a glow just thinking of you, and the way you look to night. What a dork.

This old wonderful book is sold used on Amazon. I think I'll order one and play me a tune or two.

Comments

Well, thank goodness for Readers Digest then, eh. Who'd have thought it. Must say i've never looked inside them much, but somehow assumed it was full of readers' letters beginning "Imagine my surprise when..." and "Why oh why oh why..."
Anonymous said…
Ah yes...show tunes. I too have been a lover of Broadway shows and all those "schmaltzy" arrangements! They're awesome :) I remember having those Readers' Digest condensed books around too...in fact, I think I inherited several of them...now gathering dust on my bookshelf. Perhaps I'll dig one out...
Pianist friend
dive said…
Me too, Robyn. The proper old Readers' Digest books, not the silly magazine you get now. I think Mum's still got loads of them.
And I love all of those tunes …
Scout said…
Lynn, the hardback condensed novels aren't the same as the magazines.

PF, I may have to borrow your dusty old copies if I can't get them on Amazon.

Dive, I'm surprised Mum doesn't have the songbooks as well. They're great fun.
George Gershwin a true genious of music
Alifan said…
Mum did have some wonderful old song sheets,!!!! as my Mum used to sing in a concert party, and rather early for you Robyn, "Hang out the washing on the segfried line" (I have possible spelt that wrong, and "Nobody loves a fairy when she's forty"....."Moonlight Bay" A Nightingale sang in Berkley Square"and loads more,Dive will tell you I am sure of some of the things I used to play on the piano..rather badly...

Also yes I have still got some old Readers Digest hard backed books....! does that make me more sad than cool!
Gina said…
Show tunes, when I am in a certain mood, make me happy.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...