Skip to main content

A Night At the Opera

It was actually a night at the theater, but I love the Marx brothers so much, I thought I'd throw in a movie title in their honor. I could have used A Day At the Races or A Day At the Circus, but that wouldn't be as appropriate.

Saturday evening, we made the short trip to Akron to see Rent--it's making its way across country as part of the Broadway Across America tour. I have never seen a production from this series, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Akron has a dinner theater, The Carousel, and I do know what to expect there--quite often, schlock. We saw something bad there once for Valentines, and we were seated with a couple from a Carol Burnett sketch--the woman actually had a mustache and the man had one of the worst cases of psoriasis I have ever seen.

OK. Back to Rent. It was performed at EJ Thomas Hall inside the Goodyear Centennial auditorium. The names Goodyear and Firestone are everywhere in Akron because it was once the rubber capital of the world. As my sister likes to say, "don't say that out loud at a party." The cast was actually quite talented, and the set was very creatively designed to use every square foot of space. There were moments in the second act especially when the entire company stood at the foot of the stage and sang a lament that I was moved--it takes a great deal to make me cry in public, so I can't go so far as to say I shed tears.

The musicians--two keyboards, two guitars, and drums--were incorporated into the scene directly on stage, which made them a part of the drama and storyline--a great effect. I found myself watching the lead keyboard as he quietly directed his "pit orchestra," his right hand visible against the music and lit by a dim yellow light. I also found myself watching the shadows of the performers as their silhouettes were projected on the back wall. Between getting lost in following the beat and in the movements of the shadows, I may have missed a bit of the show, or I may have just seen a different side of it.

So, Rent was great, and the Broadway Across America series is a great idea--everybody could use a little theater, or a little opera, or a little circus, or a little Marx brothers, who have nothing to do with Rent, but I seem to be having trouble staying on track this morning.

Oh, and Terroni, I tried to get reservations at Crave, but they didn't answer their phone. It looks like a great place, but I didn't want to take a chance on a Saturday night, so we'll try again another time. Thanks for the tip.

Comments

dive said…
Duck Soup?
Rent is good, Robyn. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
And Broadway Across America is an excellent idea. Theatre is so much better than crappy TV.
Ms Mac said…
I wish I didn't cry as easily as I do. I often find myself rustling napkin as makeshift paper hankies and with red eyes after a film. In public places too, I might add. You should have heard the sniffling coming from my direction when I went to see The
Holiday* with my Mum.

*Yes, it was a rubbish movie but there was just one scene....
five hundred twenty five thousand six hundred minutes
five hundred twenty five thousand journeys to plan
five hundred twenty five thousand suix hundred minutes
how do you measure a life of a woman or a man

Cmon Robyn you can admit you cried. I did the first time I saw Les Mis
Scout said…
Dive, Room Service--he best of them all.

Ms Mac, I just saw The Holiday on Friday--It was cute, for a chick flick. Was it the scene when they were all in the tent looking up from the floor?

Rich, I swear I didn't cry, but now I'll have that song in my head for the rest of the afternoon, and I'm about to have a horn lesson. Too many tunes in my head.
Terroni said…
Sounds like you had a great night!

I don't cry easily in public either, but I can't listen to "Without You" without tears.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...