Skip to main content

Happy Birthday

...to Charlie Chaplin.

I know Charlie Chaplin from watching his silent films as a kid, and I know that he left the states during the McCarthy era and did not return until he received an honorary Oscar in 1972. I remember that Oscar program, vaguely, and really only because Charlie Chaplin actually showed up.

I did not know anything else about Charlie Chaplin until reading his biography on Wikipedia. I won't recount it for you because you'll find much more information if you just read it for yourself. Note the long list of women under the category of "Relationships with Women."

My middle school had a lunch-time program that included special classes--20 minutes of extra resources for children hungry for learning. We listened to lectures on farming (which I skipped which is why I received a detention--my only one ever), discussions on the nature of sound waves, and occasionally special showings of silent films. Besides those films starring Buster Keaton and Fatty Arbuckle, the most memorable films we viewed starred Charlie Chaplin.

*Note: I was going to participate in Monday Melee today, but Dive's entry was so grumpy and choice, I settled for a birthday salute. Maybe later.

Comments

dive said…
Hee hee.
Thank you, Robyn.
My Chaplin tale:
The boss at the firm where I trained was a lovely old man called Barrie, but known to all as CC.
A glance at his qualifications revealed his middle names as Charles Chaplin. His parents had sneaked away from their chaperone to watch Chaplin films together while they courted and named him accordingly.
He liked to claim he was conceived in the cinema …
Sweet, huh?
Gina said…
I am sadly poorly versed in Chaplain films.
Sassy Sundry said…
Happy Birthday, dear Charlie!

How he got all those women is really beyond me. I mean, yes, he was funny, but really. He was a little odd.
Scout said…
Dive, that is indeed a sweet story.

Gina, I'm not all that versed in Chaplain films either--beyond a few classics, I'm an idiot.

Yeah, Sassy has survived her move, so far. He was odd, wasn't he? Sometimes, I suppose, that's attractive, especially when the odd one gets paid for being odd.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...