Skip to main content

Diversionary Post

...as if all of my posts aren't diversions for what goes on in the world. We have all suffered a nearly unspeakable tragedy here in this country--possibly all of humanity has suffered. Every news program with air time will devote its coverage to the shooting at Virginia Tech and to the gun control debate and to keeping a tally of the fatalities and injuries. I, on the other hand, will write about my weekend. The diversion:

My orchestra performed a concert devoted to the French. Usually, when I hear a phrase like that, I say, "I hate the French," but I really just hate their attitude, or at least the attitude I perceive from time to time. A couple of years ago, we hosted a French student for three weeks while she was in the states visiting a friend. She barely spoke English, and we barely spoke French (actually, the only word I could remember was the word for window, which proved useless). We spent our evenings working on jigsaw puzzles because you don't have to talk to put those together. She was a lovely girl, so I can't declare a general rule of hating the entire French population.

OK. Back to the concert. We performed Mouret's suite, which was lovely even though there were no horn parts written for that piece. Every thing can only be improved with a few French horns. It's a fact.

We also performed Debussy's An Afternoon of A Faun and Gershwin's An American In Paris. They were both lovely and very fun to play. I have had a crush on Gene Kelly since childhood, so I thought of him and Leslie Caron during our performance. We finished with the Can Can, and we had to sight read the thing because there never seemed to be time for it during our rehearsals.

The high school French class set up a display in the lobby during the concert. They had a small gallery of paintings that students had created based on famous paintings, and they had a kid set up working on a paint-by-number set as if he were sitting by the Seine. It was actually pretty cute. One of the students performed as a mime. During the intermission, he walked through the audience with an upturned umbrella, and people started tossing in money unexpectedly. The kid raised $23, so the class will splurge on lunch one day next week.

So, France was the theme for this weekend. The concert later in May will be American and will feature Rhapsody in Blue and a guest jazz pianist. See you there.

Oh, and the photo is from our Italian choral concert in February. I'm squeezed in between the piano and bass drum--usually, my section is on a platform behind the other winds.

Comments

dive said…
Hey! I can see you!
That's you on the left isn't it, Robyn?
Cool photo!
Sounds like a great concert.
A concert devoted to the French would be unheard of over here. We have to live next door to them! Ick!
Scout said…
Yes, that's me all the way at the left with that base drum mallet swinging close enough to make my music sway on my stand.
dive said…
Hee hee.
I hope you aimed a few FF notes at him in return.
Scout said…
It's actually a she, and I played the loudest when I was least sure of the beat--percussionists love it when you're off just a hair.
dive said…
As opposed to drummers, who wouldn't know the difference.
a healthy looking orchestra there Robyn. It's a nice combo to have the chorus backing things up.

Thanks for the diversion
hey Robyn, Looks like it's just you me and dive in here at the comments section. What do the french call this? manage manage what? i forget the rest. :))
Scout said…
Rich, you're welcome, but since Ame isn't here to say it, let me...

SHUT UP.
What better diversion for the day than a musical excursion. Thank you, Robyn.

And, what wonderful literature your fine group performs. Wish I could attend the next concert.

'Jigsaw puzzles' as a universal language. I like that.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.