Skip to main content

My Own Local History

Given Dive's pictorial history of Norfolk and Ame's lesson on her own local mission, here is a bit of history from Ohio.

In 1772, David Zeisberger, a Moravian missionary, moved to the Tuscarawas River with a few Delaware Indian families that had converted to Christianity. They built a village named Schoenbrunn, which means "beautiful spring" in German. They built the first school house in Ohio, developed skills in various trades, and lived as pacifists during the Revolutionary War. Their town grew to over 400 Delaware and Moravians, but they were pressured by hostile natives controlled by the British and by aggressive frontiersmen. When they realized their pocket of peace wouldn't last, they held one last worship service and then dismantled their church.

They moved their settlement, but the British eventually took complete control. Some of the Moravians were tried as American spies, and the Delaware were sent off to another location. Eventually, they were allowed back to their settlements to collect their belongings. They were captured by an American militia that believed the Indians were aiding the British, and they were massacred--62 adults and 34 children.

We have an outdoor play telling this story that runs all summer long. Here is a picture of the church after it was reconstructed in the first half of the 1900s.

Comments

dive said…
Brrr …
That's a story as chilling as the snowy photograph, Robyn.
And as always in American history, it's the white man who covers himself with shame, even after one of them had been trying so hard to do the right thing.

The play is an excellent idea. The awful events of history are there as lessons to learn from and too few people today even seem to know about them, let alone learn anything from them, so any attempt to bring history to life for people has to be applauded.
Old Knudsen said…
A lot of people read history but forget these were living and breathing people, not enough walking in the shoes of others in this world. I'm glad the history bug is catchy.
GG said…
It's so sad that recounts of most historical events involve violence, control and power. Humanity just doesn't learn.

Having said that, thanks for the look into the history of your area. Very interesting indeed.
dive said…
Yes. More please, Robyn.
Sassy Sundry said…
I've heard about the activities of the Moravians during the Revolution. Great post!
just thought I would stop by and see what my favoite blooger pal was up to. Thanks for that bit of history Robyn. I'm a lover of history and interesting historical facts etc.
Ame said…
Aw, that's just sad Robyn...I don't think I wanna go to the UK now! ;)
Very sad, Robyn.
Gina said…
Thanks for sharing that bit of history, Robyn. And yes, that was me that voted for your chapter! :)

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...