Skip to main content

Monday Melee

1. The Misanthropic: Name something (about humanity) you absolutely hate.
I hate how we sometimes try to make other people look small in order to make ourselves look bigger.

2. The Meretricious: Expose something or someone that’s phony, fraudulent or bogus.
The Nigerian widow with cancer who wants me to spot her some cash.

3. The Malcontent: Name something you’re unhappy with.
My horn lessons are almost a one-hour drive from home, which mean it takes two hours to make the trip. Sigh.

4. The Meritorious: Give someone credit for something and name it if you can.
Daughter #1 for jumping feet first on the rowing team. Daughter #2 for making the honor roll.

5. The Mirror: See something good about yourself and name it.
I make really really good cheesecake, and I share it.

6. The Make-Believe: Name something you wish for.
I wish we could get a mulligan with the Middle East.

Here's credit to Fracas for this fill-in-the-blanker.

Comments

dive said…
Mmmm … Cheesecake …
I don't suppose it would keep too well if you were to post some to me, would it?
Well, I'm now off on my three and a half hour trip in to work (an hour each way for your horn lesson? I am so jealous)!
Come on then Robyn, recipe for that cheesecake please?

Erm, largely, i work from home. Sorry, both! May change soon though i'm looking for permanent...
GG said…
Great answers, Robyn.
How do you pass the time during your two-hour trip in the car?
Um, I think the public might be wanting to know your cheesecake recipe. Unless it's a family secret and you can't give it out...
Scout said…
If I could ship cheesecake, I would see that each get a full serving. I will post my favorite recipe later today.

I am spoiled when it comes to commuting--I know what that's like because I used to commute to work years ago, but never to the extent that you do, Dive.

And how do I pass the time in my car? On the way there: sometimes I sing to myself, I listen to horn CDs, I occasionally talk on the phone (which is bad, but I can multitask), and I fret about my lessons. On the way home: I listen to Fresh Air on NPR, sometimes I talk on the phone, and I fret about my lessons.
I always sing in the car too Robyn and my voice sounds so much better there. Why is that? Talking on the phone is ok with a hands-free kit here in the UK but no holding the hand set at all. Big fines now.

I find time in the car is good for planning too. I used to keep a dictaphone because all the best ideas happened there. Must do that again...
oh and Robyn? That's ok we don't mind our cheesecake arriving in Tupperware. Perfectly acceptable, thanks.
Sassy Sundry said…
That's great. I like your wish and your observations.

It would be nice if we didn't make people look small in order to make ourselves look big, wouldn't it?

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...