Skip to main content

It's Official

If I can get away with declaring Saturday to be Italy Day, then I can get away with declaring this entire week as Steel Drum Band Week.

As odd as it may sound, our high school music program has a steel drum band, and it's good. It's not like a bunch of white middle-America kids pretending to be from Trinidad/Tobago. I suppose it isn't so odd when you consider Akron University has a well-developed steel band program that produces music teachers with thorough knowledge of the music and the instruments, but still--Ohio in winter and the tropics don't seem to mix at first glance.

Every year about this time, our steel band students are graced with a clinic led by Pan Ramajay, a professional steel band based in California. Three of their lead performers spend four days here and work with the kids, teaching them a few new songs. And on the last day, they all give a concert called Pantasia that is so unlike any high school music concert I have ever attended. It's a big giant party, and you leave feeling as though you have seen a professional group performing for you.

Well, this event begins this Thursday afternoon with the concert being held on Sunday evening. I have had a child in this group for at least four years, so I get to be a part of the whole experience through them. I have always been the kind of band parent who keeps her distance because band is about the kids, not about my reliving my adolescence through them. On this occasion, though, I indulge just a little.

It has been a tradition for the last three or four years that I host a small dinner party as Pan Ramajay and my music teacher friends as guests, so this Friday evening I will prepare a feast. I'll post the menu later in the week, and let you choose which recipe you would like to have. It's always fun, and my kids bring home a few friends who are practically giddy about getting to have dinner with these guys.

So, it's officially Steel Drum Band Week--break out a little calypso and give yourself a treat in this crappy February weather. Eye-eee.

Comments

dive said…
Oooh! Lots of yummy Caribbean recipes please, Robyn!
One of our regular tube buskers is a really hot steel drum player. When he plays, it's like a little bit of instant summer. A lovely sound.
Anonymous said…
Robyn, I like the sound of steel drums. Most tropical! I need your help adding a song to a blog I am working on. Sassy suggested you could help me figure out how to do it.
Scout said…
Sorry, Dive. The food isn't necessarily Carribean-a mix of all kinds of things. I'll post it tomorrow.

Prudence, I have recorded a few things using studioodea.com. It's a free recording thing that allows you to record and store whatever you want, and then it give you the code for placing the player onto your blog.
Anonymous said…
Thanks Robyn I will if I can manage to get it to work.
Anonymous said…
Well, my browser can find that site? Waaaa!
Scout said…
Prudence, try just odeo.com and see if, after logging in, you can work your way through to the creating and recording page.
I love the sound of steel drums. I went to berumuda a few times and they had some really great steel drum bands there.

I think it's all good any kind of music education. ENJOY!! wish I could be there.
Reminds me of a holiday in the West Indies...mmmm
dive said…
Mmm … And those guys who wander along the beaches in Antigua offering "Vitamin C for the Soul" (and don't pretend you don't know what I mean, Lynn).

Oh, and lizards …

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...