Skip to main content

It's About Punto

I was going to play a game of Who Am I and tell a whimsical little biography. At the end, you would have to guess the "bio," but I have yet to meet a horn player on my site. So, I'll just tell you the name of today's subject--it's Jan Vaclav Stich.

Stich was born to a serf indentured to Count von Thun in 1746 (near Prague). If he were to write an I Am From exercise, he would be from mud and straw. Von Thun invested heavily in young Stich as a prodigy and had him instructed in the finer subjects of the day--singing, violin, and horn playing. Stich studied with some of the better teachers in Prague and Munich and eventually became a really great horn player. The thing was, he didn't want to play in the service of the Count, who kind of owned him, so he and a band of pals ran away to Italy.

The Count was so put out, he sent a posse after Stich with instructions to knock out his front teeth so he could never play the horn again. That would have been worse than killing him. There are are several things in life I feel passionate about, but I'm not sure I would choose death over having to give any one of them up. Anyway, Stich made it to Italy ahead of the posse, teeth in tact, and he changed his name to Giovanni Punto, an Italian form of his given name. It would be like an American named John Charles moving to Mexico and disguising himself as Juan Carlos.

Punto city-hopped and orchestra-hopped, playing and teaching and composing and making a name for himself. He met Mozart in Paris, and Mozart thought he played magnificently. He met Beethoven in Vienna before Beethoven was even well-known himself. Beethoven admired his playing so much, he wrote his Horn Sonata for he and Punto to perform together. Everyone in the audience thought the horn player was brilliant, but who the heck is the guy at the piano?

Eventually, after 33 years of roaming and being successful, Punto went home a rock star, giving recitals in his home town and being famous. Eventually he was diagnosed with pleurisy, a common ailment among musicians in the 1700s, a fact that makes me want to scrub out my horn. A few months later, he died--thousands of people showed up for his funeral, and Mozart's Requiem was performed at his grave side.

Interesting guy, that Punto. Talk about your determination. I'll probably spend today wondering if there is something I do or have that I would rather die than live without. What about you?

Comments

Scout said…
Hey, Look!! My comment box works!!
dive said…
Woohoo!
At last.
Stupid Poo-heads at Blogger!
Welcome back to the world of strange people making stupid comments, Robyn.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...